The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Help - how to stop alternator squeal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancer_lover

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2017
kristianstad, Europe
Hello i have this annoying problem my car squeall att start up and it is annoying bought a gates belt and it went quiet but after 4 or 5 monts in winter rest it squealls again at start up and i have tighten it LOL so how do i solve it!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I remove the belt and the sound was gone? Then i putbit back on and loose the belt up abit, and sound was back and i put some spray on it and the sound got higher to? How do i know if waterpump is okay? Like shud it have some force while u spin it by hand or yeah i need to be sure before i order a timing/pump kit

Which component did you spray? You can’t feel or hear anything when you spin water pump, alternator or p/s pump by hand? Did you leave the ac belt on? I couldn’t tell if you have ac belt or not.
Ac belt is of, took the last water drips in a bottle only thing i got LOL i felt the water pump and i cound here if i was a dsrk kinda grinding sound from pump or not ill film it next time "🤟

To test if a bearing is bad (like in the water pump) hold a stethoscope against it (or long handle screwdriver blade against it and your ear to the screwdriver handle) while running. You'll definitely hear a bad bearing (and you can then compare to other good bearing sounds). Nearly all auto store pumps are poor quality and won't last long (1-2 yrs). I only buy factory pumps which will last 10-15 yrs. Way pricier but worth it IMHO.

Be sure you are tightening all of the bolts involved. There is one that locks the tensioner bolt. Also check your power steering belt, as I remember it would squeak as a side effect of the alternator belt setting. Avoid the impulse to tighten the siht out of it, which could ruin something. Also a parasitic draw can cause this, as well as running your system while parked, draining your battery down between starts, cause an extra load on alt when starting. EDIT: GOOD GRIEF WITH SO MANY ADS I MISSED THE PART WERE THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED A MONTH AGO. DUH.

Last edited:
I got an Aisin WP. Supposedly it's as good as OEM, and might actually be OEM, or at least the best of non-OEM WPs. I'm actually installing it today, along with everything else there, all OEM except a Gates Racing BSB.

To test if a bearing is bad (like in the water pump) hold a stethoscope against it (or long handle screwdriver blade against it and your ear to the screwdriver handle) while running. You'll definitely hear a bad bearing (and you can then compare to other good bearing sounds). Nearly all auto store pumps are poor quality and won't last long (1-2 yrs). I only buy factory pumps which will last 10-15 yrs. Way pricier but worth it IMHO.
Gonna try that to just hsrd to find room LOL i dint hear any bearing/grinding sound from alternator so just gonna find a good position to put screwdrive amd listen on that waterpump 😁 this makes my head itch 😂

This is how the power steering belt looks like and the brand new alternator belt? Can you se on the alt belt that its rubbing against a wal it has white marks on it?

And my new balancer has a swelling i dont know really WTF happend there LOL

Yeah didn't look to be in such great shape to me. Mine's around 18 years old and looks way better. I'd return or exchange it. You don't want that separating under load. Happened to me once and I was lucky to be pulling out of a car wash (which is probably what finished it off since I'd selected the underwash option) at very slow speed when it went, and there was an auto repair shop right across the street that took care of it. Made the most awful sound and the car was barely moving.

Worn pulleys. Yep, you read that right. I've gone through this whole ordeal over the course of 2 years. I've even gone so far as to change Alternator bearings which was a complete waste of cash and time.

Basically what ends up happening is the Power Steering pulley most notably wears out too much; the V grooves become too sharp and it cuts into a fresh new belt very quick, I'm talking maybe a month or two then bam, brand new belt is a squealer. I've tried fully cleaning all the pulleys, buying new belts, setting tension right, squeal always comes back and it's the exact same as in the video. Goes away if you spray it for a second or two, then comes back.

Now, problem is, they don't sell new pulleys separately. So you either gotta somehow buy a brand new PS pump or look for a 2nd hand pulley in better condition. That's what I did and it sure as shit made the squealing stop. You could visibly see the other pulley wasn't as sharp in the V grooves nor was it glazed.

Keep in mind this can also happen to the Alternator pulley as well as the harmonic balancer, so just remove all 3 belts and properly inspect them and their grooves.

Lastly, your harmonic balancer has separated, the center ring has completely ripped out. This LITERALLY happened to me 2 days ago while I was ripping on the car at the airstrip. Do not drive the car until you replace that first. I bought a Febest one for 50 euros, it should arrive tomorrow but I ordered the one for a 1G since there are no 2G OEM replacements that I could find here.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Worn pulleys. Yep, you read that right. I've gone through this whole ordeal over the course of 2 years. I've even gone so far as to change Alternator bearings which was a complete waste of cash and time.

Basically what ends up happening is the Power Steering pulley most notably wears out too much; the V grooves become too sharp and it cuts into a fresh new belt very quick, I'm talking maybe a month or two then bam, brand new belt is a squealer. I've tried fully cleaning all the pulleys, buying new belts, setting tension right, squeal always comes back and it's the exact same as in the video. Goes away if you spray it for a second or two, then comes back.

Now, problem is, they don't sell new pulleys separately. So you either gotta somehow buy a brand new PS pump or look for a 2nd hand pulley in better condition. That's what I did and it sure as shit made the squealing stop. You could visibly see the other pulley wasn't as sharp in the V grooves nor was it glazed.

Keep in mind this can also happen to the Alternator pulley as well as the harmonic balancer, so just remove all 3 belts and properly inspect them and their grooves.

Lastly, your harmonic balancer has separated, the center ring has completely ripped out. This LITERALLY happened to me 2 days ago while I was ripping on the car at the airstrip. Do not drive the car until you replace that first. I bought a Febest one for 50 euros, it should arrive tomorrow but I ordered the one for a 1G since there are no 2G OEM replacements that I could find here.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

Man all that u wrote is spot on! I have a whole list to order LOL 😁😁 everything from a mew harmonoc balancer to timing belt yeah all of it😁😁👌

I wonder if there's anything you could inject into the separated area of the HB just to get you home, at low RPMs, if we're talking relatively close and not hundreds or even dozens of miles. Like epoxy, JB, Window Weld, etc.

When this happened to me the HB completely separated and it wasn't safe to drive so much as a block, but luckily there was a garage literally across the street, so I chanced it and drove the car the 50 or so feet there.

I've been lucky with breakdowns. The one and only time I've run out of gas it was around 1/4 mile from a gas station. Recently the heater hose to the OFH developed a leak right next to a florist who let me have some water so I could get home. Once a tire blew out on the highway but I was in the right lane just before an exit ramp.

And then there was the time many years ago when I was driving back home from college with a friend and the car died on the George Washington Bridge, but after the midway point so I was able to coast all the way off and into a waiting parking spot right in front of a nice neighborhood bar where we waited for the tow truck over beers.

Knock wood.

Last edited:
Okay so i filmed this time and i hope u guys can confirm that all marking is alright and that my harmonic balanser is f***ed LOL
Video won’t play

It's hard to tell if the oil pump sprocket is aligned. But yeah that HB is toast. Have you tensioned the TB yet?

It's hard to tell if the oil pump sprocket is aligned. But yeah that HB is toast. Have you tensioned the TB yet?
I havnt touch it yet, my order of part hasnt arrive yet 😑 but waiting cam gear stop and tensioner tools gasket and all that. So anyone can recomend a new HB somewhere that will last longer than 2/3 years 😁

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back