The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

HELP!!! Heard loud pop and now it wont boost!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok I was flooring it through first (I have a big16g so you know) and it was kind of bumping cause of the road, it had slight dips in it that made the rpms jolt a little. Once I was at around 7K I heard a pop and I shifted to nuetral slowed down and it kind of idled funny like it was a little bouncy and almost stalling. I went into a McDonalds parking lot and under the light I looked for any IC pipes that may have popped off which has happened to me before. But after looking at all of them I didn't see anything wrong. I also looked at my boost controler hoses and things going to gauge. Everything looked normal. So then I turn the car on still idled kinda funny and started to go then I hit it in first again and it just wont go into boost and doesn't really like getting above 3K rpms if it means boosting to get there. also when I started to get ~5psi the car kinda did a slight jolting and stuttering like it was getting to much gas or too much air or something. I manage to get 3psi to feel like it was not a problem going up a long hill and also got up to 3500rpms in 1st taking it slowly.

Well thats a complete diagnosis of everything I know as of now...If anybody has ideas of what this could be please let me know. Also if you would like me to check something else that I haven't mentioned to help you figure out a solution I can do that as well.

BTW after driving home the car now idles fine. I'm thinking this may be a boost leak but I'm not sure. Also my IC pipe set is as follows J-pipe, home depot ghetto setup, modified stock lower IC piping, Stock Sidemount, Short UICP, After BOV is stock UICP

I have a home depot uicp and mine popped off once...it looks like it was fine, but noooo it wasnt my gf pushed on it and said it was loose. Just check the pipe again at all the joints and chaeck your bov it might have poped out. Good luck

my BOV pop out? its a Greddy-S how would it pop out? I check them again...i felt some of them but not all of them the couple I felt were ok.

Another thing, the Lower IC pipe is a little worn in some areas. Like the outer edge is a little messed up. Could a hole have popped in that?

ok found the problem...what my home depot setup is - a little pvc piece with a top flange like thing on it I put that inside the Lower ICP to stiffen it so it didn't collapse when I put the other part which is a rubber coupling to hold the j-pipe and LICP together, the coupling has groves for the hose clamps in it. What happened was right below the hose clamp it blew up and there is a huge hole in the side of it. Well just letting you know I figured it out. I couldn't see it until I got in there with a flashlight to actually check of the Piping. I'm really glad this was something simple and not a major issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back