The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Help - headlights won't stop flashing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miguel88

Probationary Member
Apr 18, 2021
Seattle, Washington
Hi. I have a 95 gst and my head light starts flashing every once and a while. I took out the fuse that says anti-theft but still nothing also disconnected the sensors that are in the lock cylinders in the doors and still nothing

Disconnecting the sensors in the doors is often the cause of this problem. You need to fix the factory alarm to get it to stop going off. Put the sensors back on the door locks. Make sure the sensor on the hatch latch functions as well. Put the alarm and horn fuses and relays back.

My GSX had this problem when I first acquired it. I had to spend some money putting all of the alarm stuff back to get it to stop and it turns out the whole problem came from the fact that the previous owner was too cheap to replace the failed hatch strut. The good strut was pushing the latch to the side and so the alarm kept thinking that the trunk was getting opened, setting off the alarm. What would have been $40 for a new strut became triple digits for new lock sensors, fuses, and relays.

Our 99 Spyder does not flash the lights when the alarm goes off, so it may be the other cause of headlight flashing: The headlight circuit is overloading. Since the headlights can't have a fuse, they can pulse to reduce the heat in the wires for protection.

Have you made any headlight modifications lately, or installed different bulbs, or assemblies?

You can ask @luv2rallye since he is one of our resident go-to resources here.

Disconnecting the sensors in the doors is often the cause of this problem. You need to fix the factory alarm to get it to stop going off. Put the sensors back on the door locks. Make sure the sensor on the hatch latch functions as well. Put the alarm and horn fuses and relays back.

My GSX had this problem when I first acquired it. I had to spend some money putting all of the alarm stuff back to get it to stop and it turns out the whole problem came from the fact that the previous owner was too cheap to replace the failed hatch strut. The good strut was pushing the latch to the side and so the alarm kept thinking that the trunk was getting opened, setting off the alarm. What would have been $40 for a new strut became triple digits for new lock sensors, fuses, and relays.
Ok so back to square one. I took the sensors out and threw them away

Our 99 Spyder does not flash the lights when the alarm goes off, so it may be the other cause of headlight flashing: The headlight circuit is overloading. Since the headlights can't have a fuse, they can pulse to reduce the heat in the wires for protection.

Have you made any headlight modifications lately, or installed different bulbs, or assemblies?

They are stock headlights. They only start blinking once the security light is on

My 95' does the headlight flash when the alarm goes off, even the hood switch has to be working for the factory alarm to work right, I don't see why the alarm unit cant be unplugged and bypassed though.

My 95' does the headlight flash when the alarm goes off, even the hood switch has to be working for the factory alarm to work right, I don't see why the alarm unit cant be unplu

My 95' does the headlight flash when the alarm goes off, even the hood switch has to be working for the factory alarm to work right, I don't see why the alarm unit cant be unplugged and bypassed though.
I just got back from work turned off the car then the alarm goes off. Is there a way to get that system disconnected???

Alright. We were studying the alarm wiring diagrams and discovered something interesting.

There is a difference in the alarm systems between our Spyder GS and a Spyder GST. These difference may also apply for a coupe RS and GS vs. a GST and GSX.

On the Spyder GS, the alarm does not use the trunk sensor switch wire. It’s there, but is not connected to anything on the latch. Also, the output from the alarm module does not connect to the headlight system to flash any of the exterior lights. The wiring diagrams show that both of those features are included on another version of the alarm system, which, we’re assuming would be the upscale GST (and GSX).

All other aspects of the alarm system are shown as the same, but this would explain why some 2Gs have their headlights flashing when the alarm goes off, and some don’t.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back