The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Help, E-Brake light wont turn off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfusionpm

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2003
San Diego, California
I really have no idea why it is doing this. it did it once before, but after a little while it turned back off like normal. the only thing i could think of was maybe a loose wire or defective switch. correct me if im wrong, but this is the switch that turns that dash light on and off right? (pictured below) well it seems to be functioning fine mechanically because the button is pushed all the way down when the break is released, so it could be an electrical problem. how would i go about fixing that without having to tear apart my dash and/or console? or maybe its something else entirely.

anyway thanks!

Attachments

• dsc05162.jpg
    dsc05162.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 177
check your brake fluid level. I think that can trigger the light too. I have also heard that some cars trigger a brake light when the pads are almost gone. I don't know how and it may not be true but thats what ive heard

I had the same thing happening to me too.

I replaced my dam alternator belt and power steering belt and the light went off. So thats the answer I'm going to have to give you.

Replace your belts.

I have been having the same problem for a week or so. My break fluid level is fine. Red98Gs, can you explain why the belts would effect the light? I've just changed all three belts 3 months ago and they have been squealing since. I have taken the belts on and off twice now and it gets worst as wheather gets colder. Sometimes it squeals when I down shift and I can feel the engine being bogged down. The E-brake light came on last week when it got real cold. I'm very interested in hearing about the connection bewteen the belts and light. Thanks much.

Originally posted by oldman
I have been having the same problem for a week or so. My break fluid level is fine. Red98Gs, can you explain why the belts would effect the light? I've just changed all three belts 3 months ago and they have been squealing since. I have taken the belts on and off twice now and it gets worst as wheather gets colder. Sometimes it squeals when I down shift and I can feel the engine being bogged down. The E-brake light came on last week when it got real cold. I'm very interested in hearing about the connection bewteen the belts and light. Thanks much.

The alternator is powered by one of the belts and that belt is causing the alternator to be "UNDERWORKED/UNDERPOWERED" and therefore causing a lack in power in the electrical system. You say the belts are squeaking? There basically slipping then, you should try what I'm saying (what you got to loose?) I had a problem just like this one on my integra also and you know what? I replaced the alternator belt and ps belt and the abs light went off. Im being serious, I dont know the direct relation to the electrical system with that brake light but I know thats what it is.

Do you have any "upgraded audio" parts in your car?
Amps or subs or both? (I'm going to take a guess and say yes).

Get back to me

Originally posted by 98RedGs

Do you have any "upgraded audio" parts in your car?
Amps or subs or both? (I'm going to take a guess and say yes).

Get back to me

Just a after market radio/cd and speakers two years ago, nothing serious. I did recently installed a TT and did noticed slight idle surge. Thanks.

Originally posted by oldman
I've just changed all three belts 3 months ago and they have been squealing since. I have taken the belts on and off twice now and it gets worst as wheather gets colder. Sometimes it squeals when I down shift and I can feel the engine being bogged down. .

Sorry to post whore. Belts often squeal when they are too tight. Not that this is the case, I know that running a belt tension gauge on my squealing belts after an engine transplant showed that I was way over the recomended tension... Check it out. Whorage complete.:thumb:

Hey nutshot, I always thought the belts might be too tight. I'll get a belt tension gauge and see what happens. cfusionpm, sorry didn't mean to steal your thread, I'll let you know if that fixes my E-brake light problem.

It's hard to diagnose a phantom.:mad:

Could there be a short between the switch and the dash? I know this may sound demented, but why not disconnect the light entirely and enjoy the simple things in life, like waffles?:shhh:

Originally posted by cfusionpm
how would i go about fixing that without having to tear apart my dash and/or console? or maybe its something else entirely.

-Check the brake fluid level like above mention, also check the black rubber seal on the bottom side of the resevor's lid, make sure the seal is in the correct shape because this seal may deform and jam the floating sensor in the reservor which trip the light.

My GST did it for a month or two and it just went off by itself. Dunno. That's a DSM 4 Ya.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back