The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Help 2 Piece Driveshaft vibration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Here is a link to a pic of my drive shaft. Its a custom 2 piece and im not sure who did it. When im driving I can here a swoosh swoosh sound and can feel it in the pedals and floor board. The middle joint pictured seems to have some play. Its a rubber grommet and has about 1/2 to 1" of play. Would this cause it to be unbalanced? Should this rubber grommet fit the shaft better with pretty much no play?

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241896&highlight=2+piece+driveshaft

Also my cv shafts seem fine, checked all the breaks and everything. I cant figure it out.

No its normal for the carrier bearing to have some play. This is to reduce the vibration transmitted to the cars body. If it gets too sloppy though you can get a thump when you launch from the driveshaft slapping into the underbody.

There are balancing tabs and it used to never do this. After talking with my brother he was thinking it is a wheel bearing? He said he had the same problem. Im going to check it tomorrow.

oh ok i was under the impression that it had been doing what its doing since day one, it could be a wheel bearing, or it could be a cv joint on one of the axles, i had a vibration in my floorboard caused by my drivers outer cv joint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back