The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Help Choosing a Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luisgil

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2013
Paterson, New_Jersey
Hey whats going on. I need some help choosing what kind of motor would be the best choice for me. I have a 1991 Eclipse GSX. Im trying to figure out if its best to drop a 7 Bolt in or a 6 Bolt. I want to make around 450-500 HP with all supporting mods. the 1g 7 Bolts tend to be easier and cheaper to find but is it worth it? Or should I just spend the extra money and build the 6 Bolt.

I'm a firm believer that 7 Bolts have far too bad a reputation for what they are. Proper blueprinting, assembly, and adjustment of your clutch all will minimize the chance of things going wrong in a 7 bolt engine. Ensuring oil pressures are correct and conducting proper maintenance all are key as well. Also, many believe that the 2G oil squirters are a root cause of the issues with the 7 bolts, which will not be the case with a 1G 7 bolt motor. I just had two 2G spin rod bearings within a couple of weeks of each other, so one is now being built with a 1G 7 bolt shortblock and upgraded internals. In all fairness, it's going into an auto, but I have confidence that it will last me another 100K plus miles.

6 bolt will hold your power goals with NO upgrades, but if you want to do some then it will just be even stronger. MTC

I'm a firm believer that 7 Bolts have far too bad a reputation for what they are. Proper blueprinting, assembly, and adjustment of your clutch all will minimize the chance of things going wrong in a 7 bolt engine. Ensuring oil pressures are correct and conducting proper maintenance all are key as well. Also, many believe that the 2G oil squirters are a root cause of the issues with the 7 bolts, which will not be the case with a 1G 7 bolt motor. I just had two 2G spin rod bearings within a couple of weeks of each other, so one is now being built with a 1G 7 bolt shortblock and upgraded internals. In all fairness, it's going into an auto, but I have confidence that it will last me another 100K plus miles.
Im thinking if anything a 1g 7 Bolt. How are the compression differences. Personally I lean more towards the 6 Bolts because the 7 Bolts have a bad reputation. But i also understand the 2g 7 Bolts and 1g 7 Bolts are slightly different as well.

Im thinking if anything a 1g 7 Bolt. How are the compression differences. Personally I lean more towards the 6 Bolts because the 7 Bolts have a bad reputation. But i also understand the 2g 7 Bolts and 1g 7 Bolts are slightly different as well.

Per a DSM Wiseman on this thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1g-7-bolt-pistons.440577/
The 1g 7 bolt pistons won't effect the compression. They are the same compression ratio as the 6 bolt pistons which is 7.8:1 . 2g pistons are higher compression which is 8.5:1.

It's important to know that crankwalk means thrust bearing failure. The 1G 7 Bolts don't really have that reputation, and I'm pretty sure the thrust bearing design is a bit different on 1G 7 bolts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. My point really is that 7 bolt doesn't = bad and the chances of premature failure to CW is minimal if you do it right.

Personally i would go with the 2g 7 bolt due to my experience with it and how it's never failed me as long as i kept up with my proper maintenance and not beat the piss out of it. Just my opinion though, many factors can ruin any of these engines soooo:idontknow:.

I'm at most thinking maybe 2g pistons 1g rods with a fully built head. I just want to make sure I wont regret the 7 Bolt later on.
If that is what you plan on building, why not just use a 6-bolt?

Either engine would be fine for your goals with some h-beam rods and forged Pistons. The 6-bolt engine with a freshen up will support that power goal, but will be a little over the 400hp I like to limit stock internal engines to.

Spending money to make 6-bolt rods work in a 7-bolt isn't really worth it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back