The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G HELP!! Catalytic Gauge Warning light lit up and Fuel Pump stays active while key is in ON position

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaDSM

Probationary Member
Jul 9, 2021
Cavite, Philippines, Asia
I'm lost, I was using the Car around town smoothly then suddenly the next day when I am about to start the car something unusual happened,

This Light Lit up:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Catalytic Gauge Warning light lit up and Fuel Pump stays active while key is in ON position which is unusual.

The car still runs and the warning light sometimes is gone but returns again. (sort of like blinking on and off, dimming)

The fuel pump is working non stop while the car is just in "ON" position. (Key is in "ON" position , Not yet started)

Does anyone have an idea what causes the problem and how can I rectify the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

I've got quite a few cars with that light (all JDM imports). It's usually a grounding issue with your catalytic converter. There is a thermistor attached to the cat case that needs a direct path to ground to function. It provides no useful information anyway, so most people remove the bulb when the system starts acting up. As long as you have no reason to believe that it's running outrageously rich, I wouldn't worry about it.

@LunaDSM what does your vin start with.

I'll try to check the VIN tomorrow, it made me curious as well.

hopefully i will be able to find the VIN because as you can see in the picture of the engine bay i sent earlier, the data plate was missing.
previous owner said it was lost when they repainted.

the plate near the windshield does not show any info aside from the chassis number which starts with D32A followed by some digits.

I've got quite a few cars with that light (all JDM imports). It's usually a grounding issue with your catalytic converter. There is a thermistor attached to the cat case that needs a direct path to ground to function. It provides no useful information anyway, so most people remove the bulb when the system starts acting up. As long as you have no reason to believe that it's running outrageously rich, I wouldn't worry about it.
@randman2011

This might be the answer.

I got to check the grounding. I was not fully aware that there is a thermistor attached to the cat case that needs a direct path to ground to function. Might be rusty in there which causes the ground to malfunction.

Thanks a lot!!

Japanese eclipse don't have the rear O2 sensor. It should have a high temp sensor instead.
I guess, the issue would be, simply the temp sensor is dead or you got some electrical issue. Or for some reason you have a fueling issue and causing misfire, and then it's burning the gas somewhere close to the CAT.

Japanese eclipse don't have the rear O2 sensor. It should have a high temp sensor instead.
I guess, the issue would be, simply the temp sensor is dead or you got some electrical issue. Or for some reason you have a fueling issue and causing misfire, and then it's burning the gas somewhere close to the CAT.
@DSMPT

High temp sensor?

would you mind telling me what it looks like and where it is exactly located?

is this the same as the coolant temperature sensor?

please enlighten me.

Thank you!

@DSMPT

High temp sensor?

would you mind telling me what it looks like and where it is exactly located?

is this the same as the coolant temperature sensor?

please enlighten me.

Thank you!
No, not like the coolant sensor. It's like an EGT sensor, it's located post CAT to read the CAT temp.
Looks like this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back