The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G HELP!! Catalytic Gauge Warning light lit up and Fuel Pump stays active while key is in ON position

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaDSM

Probationary Member
Jul 9, 2021
Cavite, Philippines, Asia
I'm lost, I was using the Car around town smoothly then suddenly the next day when I am about to start the car something unusual happened,

This Light Lit up:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Catalytic Gauge Warning light lit up and Fuel Pump stays active while key is in ON position which is unusual.

The car still runs and the warning light sometimes is gone but returns again. (sort of like blinking on and off, dimming)

The fuel pump is working non stop while the car is just in "ON" position. (Key is in "ON" position , Not yet started)

Does anyone have an idea what causes the problem and how can I rectify the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

This could happen if the fuel pump relay is defective or has been bypassed.
Will look into this. 😊

I own a 1995 GST, as per the manual, the location of the FP relay is on the center console driver side.

is this the right location or am I lookin at a different reference/manual?

Thank you so much for your inputs. :)

i'd think its either a short to ground some where on the wire (white/red) between the ECU and the fuel pump relay
or and issue with the ECU

I believe this is not a euro spec GST. That warning light exist in most cars including GST, not sure why yours don't have a warning light for catalytic converter.😅 (assuming yours is also a 1995 GST)
Mine was gsx. Weird!!

as far as i know, none of the north american market cars have a separate warning light for the catalytic converter. Instead the CEL will flash if there is a condition that will damage the cat. and they will throw a code if the cat is operating below efficiency

as far as i know, none of the north american market cars have a separate warning light for the catalytic converter. Instead the CEL will flash if there is a condition that will damage the cat. and they will throw a code if the cat is operating below efficiency
Yup. I had to live with that once I went to test pipe.

Mine was gsx. Weird!!
Apparently all the GSTs I have seen here in our place has that warning light though they are not euro spec.

as stated above by black'98dsm, "Must be a California/other country thing only."

UPDATE:

It has been two (2) days since the incident.
the problem did not occur again.

although it is now working perfectly, I am dying to know what caused the problem.

The relay seems to be working fine. the ecu is also working as intended.

any other inputs is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

At least JDM Eclipse have this light. I remember that the light came up when an USDM ECU was installed on a JDM 2G Eclipse. So maybe the OP's car or some parts are a JDM Eclipse?
Thats a possibility, its also the reason why i cant seem to find answers in the forums because apparently, only jdm/asian GST has this specific light.

Thats a possibility, its also the reason why i cant seem to find answers in the forums because apparently, only jdm/asian GST has this specific light.
You may have a Japanese Eclipse. I just realized that your car has folding side mirrors. Can you upload a pic of engine bay?

You may have a Japanese Eclipse. I just realized that your car has folding side mirrors. Can you upload a pic of engine bay?
Heres a photo I took just now:

I am rebuilding the car slowly but there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. this was in a very bad shape (not roadworthy) when I got it last year but I hope you get to see what you need to see.

Heres a photo I took just now:

I am rebuilding the car slowly but there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. this was in a very bad shape (not roadworthy) when I got it last year but I hope you get to see what you need to see.

There is no MDP sensor. You probably got a Japanese Eclipse. You can also check it with the ECU part number. I don't know about other countries though.

There is no MDP sensor. You probably got a Japanese Eclipse. You can also check it with the ECU part number. I don't know about other countries though.
If this was JDM eclipse, this should be right hand drive but thats not the case. although all the writings/labels (warning and hazards stickers) are in japanese writings.

i am also sure this was not converted as i have inspected everything and found no signs of conversions.

now i am confused where did my eclipse come from. all i know is that it was imported 2007. 🤣

this was a special eclipse though because all the eclipses that were released here in the country were all A/T.

This one is original M/T not converted.

If this was JDM eclipse, this should be right hand drive but thats not the case. although all the writings/labels (warning and hazards stickers) are in japanese writings.

i am also sure this was not converted as i have inspected everything and found no signs of conversions.

now i am confused where did my eclipse come from. all i know is that it was imported 2007. 🤣

this was a special eclipse though because all the eclipses that were released here in the country were all A/T.

This one is original M/T not converted.
No. There is no RHD Eclipse. ALL Japanese Eclipses are LHD and Japanese 2GA came with both M/T and A/T. It seems your car is a JDM Manual 2GA Eclipse.

Last edited:
No. There is no RHD Eclipse. ALL Japanese Eclipses are LHD and Japanese 2GA came with both M/T and A/T. It seems you car is a JDM Manual 2GA Eclipse.
ohh i see. that clears everything.
Though I just find it weird that there's no Japanese RHD eclipse when Japan itself is a RHD country.

im amazed i own a JDM 2GA nonetheless. :thumb:

Is it safe to say that I dont have a DSM? i have a JDM Eclipse if that makes sense? 🤣🔰🎌🇯🇵

No. There is no RHD Eclipse. ALL Japanese Eclipses are LHD and Japanese 2GA came with both M/T and A/T. It seems your car is a JDM Manual 2GA Eclipse.
damn i didn't know there was a JDM eclipse, i thought they had the FTO instead.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back