The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HELP! Can't figure out my high consistant idle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_ro0703

Probationary Member
Dec 18, 2007
Milan, Indiana
Hey guys. im looking for some help. i"ve got a 2g gst and i cant figure out my high bidle problem. i've been doig alot of research and and pulling my hair out. ok the deal im having is when my car gets to normal operating temp i get a high idle. varies from 1400 to 2500ish. when i start it after it cools its fine but as soon as it warms my idle turns to crap. ive replaced the tps,iac,fiav,ect and most of the most of the vacs. im not sure if i should try to replace the egr or block it off. ive scanned the ecu and it throws a CEL saying its a system idle controll malfunction. And saying a code of P0505. the IAC. it also said that the egr system is ok. oh ive tried to adjust the BISS too. Ive cleaned the throttle body and the throttle cable is not in a bind. So i really dont know what else to do... im still a nOOb so any advise would greatly be appreciated. thanx

i did but i want to find out why its doing that tho. i dont wanna CEL

My car has the exact same problem, BUT no CEL... It came on once but after I erased it at never came on again. I still have the problem but no light is on. About the only thing i noticed and haven't done yet is the O-ring on the BISS screw. It looked a little worn but not too bad. I just haven't had the time to get a new one yet. If anyone has any answers to this or any other suggestions please let us all know.

Thanks, Mike

ok ive changed my egr valve. reset my ecu and no codes for my idle. also changed some vacuum lines. no i dont have any idle codes but, i have a code sayn that my TPS/ pedal position sensor A circuit malfunction. Code P0120. But no code in the book matches. ok i can see code for the tps but what about the pedal position? car idles better tho. if its not one thing its another. im getting really used to that happening :(

my bad i got a lil side tracked. didnt mean to sat fiav. jus got alotta stuff on my mind. sry

try adjust the idle adjustment screw on the top of the throttle body

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
true true. or you could get a useful computer to tune your car and fix it electronically. dsmlink. your gonna need it anyways if you plan on upgrading anytime soon. dont waste your money on things like the apexi neo.....junk....i learned the hard way

ive heard about the dsmlink but im not ready to go that far yet. ok now its starting to get weird again. last night i went out driving and again it idles @2000k rpms. i unplug the IAC and no change no codes. i left this morning with it still unplugged. when it was cold it ran great then as soon as it got to operating temp it idles near 2k again. today im gonna swap throttle bodies with a buddy of mine a and see if theres a change. if that doesnt work could it be my pcm? im so confused at what to do at this point. i'll upate ya with the results.

have you guys checked your isc units? thats what mine did when my isc went bad

ok so today im swapped my tb with another one that already had a tps on it. i cleaned it really good. i put a new o-ring on the biss. i used the same iac that i had swapped before. i changed the lil tan plug that is on the fire wall directly behind the tb. im not sure ### its called. ok so now for the test drive. :notgood: its doing the same thing but now it feels like its running a little rough at low idle. still idles at norm when its cold but once again it idles high and now with a little surge. ### do i do now guys. im getting desperate. this thing is really beginning to stress me out. so any help or ideas would be a miracle for me.

Block your fiav and try it again, The fiav raises your idle to 2000 rpms when cold to help warm up your engine.

Block it off, there is a tech article in here explaining how to do it, There are several different way to block the hole, but blocking it off will help this when warm.

You'll know when its blocked off perfect because you'll start the car and it will only be at idle, no higher.

Look it up, and try it. I did it on my car, it made me not look like an a-hole at the stop lights anymore.

i know its really embarrassing when you come to a light and see a hot a$$ chick next to you and ## car is idling @ 2000 rpms. i jus shut if off. ive got a 3 inch dp and a 3 inch greddy evo exhaust so you can definitely hear my car. but my one ? is ### are the chances of having to tb's that the fiav is messed up. idt my isc is bad. ive swapped it wit four of them this week wit no changes in my idle.

And if it's nothing mentioned above. Check your ECU for any leaks. I Also had the same problem and found out that my capacitors from my ECU were leaking.

ekanddsm thanks for the advice. it did it today and messed with my biss and i think ive got it. but im thinkn its gonna a sum b####h to start when its cold. like in the early morn. ill update.

I have had the same problem with my gst and all i did was loosen the slack on my throttle cable..
IT seem to work for me

Replace the ISC and then if the problem is still there, try cleaning out your FIAV. It's underneath the TB. You'd need to take off the TB and unscrew the FIAV off the TB. It's not hard at all, try it. If that's not it, then check the TPS and maybe the throttle cable again.

ok blocking off the fiav didnt solve the really high idle. sometimes it idles high and sometimes it doesnt. and when it idles around 1500k it starts surging. i want to fix the problem not jus cover it up. could one of my injectors being stuck open cause this problem?

I had that same problem. I just bought a new ISC, biss ring, thermostat and reset my Idle by grounding 2 connections. You ground the ignition timing plug and the diagnostic port inside the car. The car has to be fully warmed up. When grounded, adjust the biss untill you are Idling at about 750 rpms. Disconnect the ground points. Then you trun the engine on and let it Idle for about 10 to 15 min and see if it changes. I did this about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems since. I also changed the 02 sensor. So I am not sure what had exectely cause the problem. I did this on my 1g but I believe that you have a 2g. Just go to VFAQ and you will see how to do it in more detail.

jorge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back