The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Help Boost Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yhype

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2002
Thurmont, Maryland
I am having a problem with the boost...when i get on the throttle and the boost gets around 7 psi the jerks as if i got off the gas slightly, but the boost psi keeps going up until it tops off. I have unplugged the TPS and test drove it and there was no change in how it acted except with the engine light on. Please help...

Thats got nothing to do with the TPS.

Seems like your wastegate actuator might be bad , If the boost is just going all the way up.

Is there anyway of testing this idea to make sure this is the problem?

First check all the vacuum(pressure) lines going to the wastegate actuator and make sure they are all intact.
Next , you'll need a vacuum-pressure gun.....you can get one at a auto-parts store for about $40. Its a great investment for using on other things too, like EGR valves.
If the wastegate-actuator doesn't hold pressure or vacuum then its bad.
You must only use light vacuum to test it , though. less than 15 psi or you may rupture the diaphram inside.

Could this also me a simptom of boost creep? Or might it have to do with my BOV going into the atmosphere becuase it does run REALLY rich when i get on the throttle. thanks:dsm:

Fiirst what mods do you have done ? I had the some problem after putting new intercooler pipes on . My car runs real rich especially at WOT . I have two fuel pumps one intank and the other is inline so I have enough fuel the a/f gauge is pegged at WOT and voltage on O2 sensor is on the rich side . I could not find the problem at first , I was only running 16psi. So I started by turnning the boost down I got it down to 7-8 PSI and it stopped . It was fuel cut!!! By incressing the air flow with the New Intercooler pipes the ECU was causing fuel . I ended up making a Fuel Cut Defender , It cost about five dollars . I now have it tuned to 21PSI before it hits fuel cut . I usually run 16-18 PSI . So depending on your mods this may solve the problem you are having.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back