The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Help, Alternator/Power belt tension issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smbgsx

Proven Member
Apr 15, 2017
Richfield, Minnesota
I recently replaced my belt for the P/S pump, alternator, water pump because it split and slipped off. I can't seem to get enough tension on the new belt. It is very noisy on start up (worse than the normal for these cars) and I think it's slipping at WOT. I'm not even sure I have the right bolt that runs longitudally on the alternator. My car is a 2g with a 6 bolt swap. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20170905_223838.jpg
    IMG_20170905_223838.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20170905_223818.jpg
    IMG_20170905_223818.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20170905_223808.jpg
    IMG_20170905_223808.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 98
Are you referring to 1 belt or 2? Aren't the alternator and PS belts separate? I'm also running a 6bolt swapped 2G but my alternator is relocated to the AC compressor location. I can vaguely remember the stock belt configuration at this point? If a belt will not tighten and there's nothing obviously loose or broken then you likely have the wrong belt.

It looks like my 6 bolt with 2 belts. Take the Alternator belt off and take it to the parts store of choice and get a 1" shorter belt. That should do the trick.
For reference, this is the belt my 90 runs - Gates #K040309, 39.13" Long, 4 rib, 14mm wide
$25.99 at Oreilly's. (or there is a belt by MicroGaurd for $10 cheaper, your choice)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1 belt. Sorry, the belt that drives the water pump and alternater is one belt, and that's the one that's loose, but it also loops over another pulley that has the other belt that drives the PS pump and something else I believe. When my belt went I lost power steering, my battery light came on and temp started going up.
Ido have the correct belt tho. I cross referenced part numbers between the 1g and 2g and compared it to my old belt. So I'm 99 percent I have the right belt.

I will give the shorter belt a shot. Thank you. I was gonna get that same gates belt, but it was at the warehouse and I had to get home from where it broke, So I got the O'Reilly special LOL. They said it was the same length tho

Last edited by a moderator:
It should loop around the balancer, the water pump and then the alternator with the first WP pump pulley running the PS belt.

Yes both belts are the same length and I have ran both with no issues.....unless your water pump pulley is on backwards, and then it will split a belt (the 92 I just bought, had the WP pulley on backwards and it is hard to tell, but if you can SEE ribs on the inside of that pulley while it is on the car, then it is on backwards). Just tryin to help!

for sure, thank you I appreciate it. ill have to look when I get home. it sucks I just got my car tuned and it is amazing to drive but then this belt went and I just got an exhaust leak at my downpipe flange. so it farts and pops on throttle lift. LOL

What is the actual procedure for adjusting belt tension on that belt? the bolt that I uploaded a pic of doesn't seem to do much of anything when I turn it. I loosened the other bolt going transversely for the alternatoir braket and pushed the alternator down/towards the front of the car to get the belt tight as I could, then tightened that bolt. I though maybe the longitudal bolt would then make fine adjustment but it doesn't seem that's the case.

The bolt with the "Monopoly House" is the bolt that you use to tension the belt. The securing bolt, is the one that you loosened and then pushed the alternator towards the front to tighten it. Once that bolt is loose, use the longitudinal bolt with the Monopoly House to do the tightening, it will pull the alternator towards the front. When you get it to your approved tightness (don't get it TOO tight, it will ruin a water pump pulley bearing), then lock that single bolt going through the Monopoly House down to hold it in place. Viola :thumb:

1 belt. Sorry, the belt that drives the water pump and alternater is one belt, and that's the one that's loose, but it also loops over another pulley that has the other belt that drives the PS pump and something else I believe. When my belt went I lost power steering, my battery light came on and temp started going up.
Ido have the correct belt tho. I cross referenced part numbers between the 1g and 2g and compared it to my old belt. So I'm 99 percent I have the right belt.
1% wins. You have the wrong belt.

I think there is a specific tightness the manual calls for but I've always just made it "just right" and have never had an issue with any dsm belt I've ever owned. :idontknow:

Considering where that tensioner is sitting no way it should be adjusted that tight and be slipping.

What part number and have you checked for other issues? Failing harmonic balancer?

I think I'm missing the Monopoly house. Maybe that's the issue. I just have a bolt that goes through the slot in the alternator case I believe. Do you see the "house" in the pic I uploaded?

Right here circled in yellow. I don't know how else to descibe it :)
Paul is right no matter what, you are at the end of travel for adjustment so just get a shorter belt.

It appears that the 2g belt is 5/8" shorter but I think you need more than 5/8".
The 2g is only 39" as compaired to the 1g at 39 5/8".

Thank you for the help. I'll check into a shorter belt. And thanks for the links.

Shorter belt helped, thank you.
I do have another question though. How hot can these engines get before damage is done? When my belt went it happened on the freeway, i couldn't pull off for about 2 miles and didn't know the water pump was tan on the same belt. By the time i realized it the water temp (what was left of the "water"/coolant was close to 250 degrees on ecmlink. The engine seems to run fine right now after the new belt and coolant top off, but I'm just curious if you think internal damage was done.

Shorter belt helped, thank you.
I do have another question though. How hot can these engines get before damage is done? When my belt went it happened on the freeway, i couldn't pull off for about 2 miles and didn't know the water pump was tan on the same belt. By the time i realized it the water temp (what was left of the "water"/coolant was close to 250 degrees on ecmlink. The engine seems to run fine right now after the new belt and coolant top off, but I'm just curious if you think internal damage was done.
From past experience if it's fine now you didn't damage anything. Might depend on how long you were at 250. I've done this several times on accident and there were no ill effects.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back