The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Help 2g eclipse no spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel b

Proven Member
Sep 15, 2021
Middletown, Rhode_Island
So I bought a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse gs 420a engine, it cranks but won’t start and has no spark, I have changed crank sensor and coil pack. Any ideas?

The two in the front right of engine bay
But they just click randomly and scanner won’t connect and they click when I mess with wiring I think it needs a new wiring harness and fuse box because it’s just a mess like all the wires are halfass connected

If I were you. Anywhere there is a splice, I would cut it off and redo it correctly. Replace any broken or damaged connectors. Make sure every single wire is not damaged and properly connected. And make sure everything is hooked up where it is supposed to go. The only reason wiring sucks is because people make it suck. The concept is quite simple.

If I were you. Anywhere there is a splice, I would cut it off and redo it correctly. Replace any broken or damaged connectors. Make sure every single wire is not damaged and properly connected. And make sure everything is hooked up where it is supposed to go. The only reason wiring sucks is because people make it suck. The concept is quite simple.
Thanks yeah I’m probably going to some research tonight move my car in the garage and try that.

yeah but like the wiring seems at a point where it will need a new wiring harness I will send a video but I also removed some stuff that’s why it looks really messy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQb0NtVjUcQ

If you think it's not repairable, hopefully you can find an engine wiring harness at a junkyard. Or maybe call Miller Imports. It's not too hard to replace.
yeah it’s just like I found a few wires that look bad that they wrapped in duck tape but I mean not anything serious so I really don’t know maybe a bad ground

If the check engine light doesn't "bulb check" when you turn the key to the on position. You have a problem with your "reference voltage" circuit.
This isn't nearly as bad as you think it will be as you read this. I've done it at least 4 times and is the first thing I do when I buy a 2.0 Neon. It takes about 4 hours the first time. Now I can re-wrap every wire and re-instal it in about 2 hours.
From my experience with this engine from the Neon world... If the harnesses are in any way similar, my guess is they're VERY closely related I would take the engine harness off, un-loom it, look for, separate and wrap the the burnt wires with electrical tape, follow them to the sensor they go to CKP, CMP, o2, coolant temp sensor ect. Check the electrical connectors for melted, loose, corroded or otherwise abnormal conditions and replace the connectors as needed. My advice is to solder the "reference voltage" wires and use very secure connections on the ground and 12v wires.

I did forget to say "Check the fuses". There is a fuse before the ECU that blows if there is a short in the reference circuit.
In the 6, 1g Neons I've owned. One had a bad computer. It's not a common issue, but a very commonly misdiagnosed issue. The most I paid for them was $800. That was for an Expresso coupe. I paid $200 for the one with the bad ECU. If these ECUs are bad, most of the time, the alternator won't work but the check engine light will come on.
Even if it is an ECU, go to the junk yard yard and pick one up. $50 at most, they aren't VIN specific and one from an automatic SOHC will work in a 5 speed DOHC. Just make sure the ECU plugs are correct.
Thanks for all the help got her running today.

yea, connector is supposed to face down, and make sure you have everything plugged in, I know how it is when you're unplugging and testing out stuff, it's easy to forget to plug tyhem back, wouldn't hurt to spray some connector spray in the connectors, or wd40, these are old cars so corrosion on connector pins can also cause electrics to fail
Thanks for all the help got her running today.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back