The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Hello! New Super VR-4 Owner Here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozlancer1

Probationary Member
Oct 13, 2022
Abbottstown, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone! I just recently purchased a JDM 1990 Galant Super VR-4 and found this forum as I was doing some research. I've been a car guy since before I could drive, and have a love for pretty much all things automotive. I've always leaned more toward the show car world, and built several show cars when I was younger. One of which was a Lancer OZ Rally which I purchased before EVOs were available in the US, and tried my best to get it to EVO level.

Through my time touring car shows, I became involved with the inner workings and began working with several big event organizers and have continued to do that to this day. Long after I sold my previous cars it has allowed me to stay close to the scene I love. It just didn't make financial sense for me to begin another project while I was busy raising a family. Now that things have slowed down and I'm financially in a better place, I began searching for the next project. I had been looking for quite some time when I stumbled across the VR-4. Being a Mitsubishi guy, I had always loved them but honestly had never considered it as a project for myself. But this thing immediately caught my eye, as it's the most heavily modified one I've ever seen. I loved that it was well built with quality parts, and it's such a rare platform that it turns heads everywhere it goes. During my search I came across a lot of amazing vehicles, but this one truly was "me", so I pulled the trigger.

So far I unfortunately haven't had much time to enjoy it yet, but am looking forward to cruises, meets, shows and more! I'm also excited to connect with other DSM and VR-4 owners out there. So feel free to drop me a line anytime!

I'm also a new member over on galantvr4.org so some of you may have seen me there too.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks Tony!

The Super VR-4 was just one of a few trim packages that were offered in Japan. I don't know the entire list of options but it was considered the "luxury" trim and included upgrades like leather seats, bumper vents, etc.

What is going on with the engine? You have an evo 4-9 style valve cover.

What is going on with the engine? You have an evo 4-9 style valve cover.
You know unfortunately I don't have as much history on the car as I'd like. I'm not sure if the motor was swapped at some point or why they chose that valve cover. I do know that the current motor was torn down and rebuilt with a full balance and blueprint and that there's only about 11,000KM on the clock since that was done.

I know this Galant was on sale a couple years ago in Japan. The previous owner made it as a 2 door Galant VR4 by using one-off body kit. The differences between the VR4 and Super VR4 are like the steering wheel, rims etc, accessories. There is no difference on performance.
But if my memory serves me correctly and if the condition is the same as when it was on sale, this Galant's engine was built by a famous shop in Japan with some modifications. And the transmission was replaced with a different model.
I will try to look for the spec of this Galant. I will update here if I find some. Maybe some site still has it in cache since the sale was not so long time ago.

Last edited:
I know this Galant was on sale a couple years ago in Japan. The previous owner made it as a 2 door Galant VR4 by using one-off body kit. The differences between the VR4 and Super VR4 are like the steering wheel, rims etc, accessories. There is no difference on performance.
But if my memory serves me correctly and if the condition is the same as when it was on sale, this Galant's engine was built by a famous shop in Japan with some modifications. And the transmission was replaced with a different model.
I will try to look for the spec of this Galant. I will update here if I find some. Maybe some site still has it in cache since the sale was not so long time ago.
I don’t get how it used to be a 2 door 🤔

The original listing the one I saw seems to be deleted but found a copy in a used car site and that shows some spec.

According to the site, the engine/drivetrain spec is like below :
The engine is built, balanced and installed by Naprec.
EVO 2 +1.0mm Oversize
Rods are mirror finished and weight matched
HKS Cams
Aftermarket valve springs
Galant AMG titanium retainers
EVO 4+ valve cover
VR4 RS close ratio transmission w/ a Ralliart front LSD
Cusco rear diff / 4WS is canceled
GAB struts and springs
EVO 6 Brembo calipers
R33 GT-R rotors
ABS Canceled
FRP one-off wide body kit (1890mm)
Interior panels, trims, carpet, etc are replaced with new.
2 door

I don’t get how it used to be a 2 door 🤔
Still a 4 door but I think what the previous owner meant is he made it as a two-seat Galant by canceling the rear doors and rear seat.

The original listing the one I saw seems to be deleted but found a copy in a used car site and that shows some spec.

According to the site, the engine/drivetrain spec is like below :
The engine is built, balanced and installed by Naprec.
EVO 2 +1.0mm Oversize
Rods are mirror finished and weight matched
HKS Cams
Aftermarket valve springs
Galant AMG titanium retainers
EVO 4+ valve cover
VR4 RS close ratio transmission w/ a Ralliart front LSD
Cusco rear diff / 4WS is canceled
GAB struts and springs
EVO 6 Brembo calipers
R33 GT-R rotors
ABS Canceled
FRP one-off wide body kit (1890mm)
Interior panels, trims, carpet, etc are replaced with new.
2 door

Still a 4 door but I think what the previous owner meant is he made it as a two-seat Galant by canceling the rear doors and rear seat.
That valve cover intrigues the hell out of me. On the website you linked it translates the VC to a "one off tappet cover from an evo 4". I wonder how much work is needed to throw an Evo 4-9 cover onto a 6/7 bolt.

Wow that is a very serious build! Kinda reminds me of an early 2000's build found in Young Version magazine. Take care of that one for sure.

Took the car to it's first show this weekend. An event called the Junkfood Meet, which is a combination car show and food truck festival. The car got a ton of attention and I met and talked to so many people about it. Was a great day and I was honored to take home the award for Best JDM!

Some shots from a few shows over the summer. Unfortunately didn't get to as many as I wanted to due to the timing belt snapping the beginning of the summer. Car was down for almost two months while a friend and I tore down the motor and fixed everything. Luckily the damage was minimal, and I took the opportunity to replace some other things as well. Now she's running better than ever! Next on the list, replacing the suspension. It's currently on a shock/spring setup with zero adjustability. It's stiff as hell and the shitty PA roads are causing a lot of issues with the widebody, so I can't wait to get that taken care of!

Man, that must have been painful taking that beauty apart after the belt snapped.
It actually wasn't too bad once we realized there wasn't any serious damage. Was more painful not being able to drive it or show it for so long LOL. The tear down actually gave us the ability to become more familiar with the motor and just how much detail went into the build. I knew there was a lot, but we found even more modifications that we weren't even aware of. Stuff like custom carbon fiber covers made to cover the uglier parts of a motor like the alternator, color matched pulleys, custom hardware/bolts, and a few other things.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back