The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hello! New Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pouffysubset

Probationary Member
Jan 3, 2018
Willis, Texas
I'm new to the forum, DSM, and really cars in general. Picked up a good condition 97 GST for a good price as my first car. The outside is pretty clean, inside not as much. All stock as far as I can tell. Hasn't been hacked up by some kid, but the previous owners weren't real big on maintenance. Crankwalked 2 weeks after I got it unfortunately :(. I love all the info and builds on this site though. Really looking forward fixing up mine and making it pretty.

Hi Shawn. Nice car. Sorry to hear about the crankwalk. I got lucky when I bought my GST Spyder in that I hadn't even heard of crankwalk...but managed to snatch up a '99 which don't have the same issue as the earlier 2Gs. Good luck on your restoration and rebuild. You'll have tons of fun once it's back on the road...and maybe even while fixing it up!

Thanks! Your car looks pretty awesome, I like those rims. What were the rims on those first two pictures? How much restoration did you have to do with yours? The interior was pretty disgusting in mine, looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. I washed it all out and it's pretty nice now minus some stains and rips in the floor liner. I also found pistachio shells under my spare?? I still don't understand that one. Being a high school student I got those no money problems, so I've been doing little things here and there that I can afford. So far I've sanded and refinished my wiper arms and fixed my driver side door lock. I'm joining the army once I graduate though, think I'm going to use my enlistment bonus to buy a remanufactured engine.

Welcome and I wish you came under better circumstances. It's rare that automatics crankwalk because they don't see the same lateral forces on the crank as manual transmission cars do. T25 doesn't put out enough air to detonate an engine with good condition fuel system, so, given what you mentioned that the previous owners weren't good on maintenance, it might just be bearing failure due to improper lubrication. All of this is to say your engine might not be as bad as a crankwalked motor--hopefully just a bearing job. Have you checked that the timing belt is still in one piece?

Best of luck! We're here if you need any help.

Last edited:
Yea I was thinking it might not be that bad, but I don't have space or tools to pull the engine right now. I was thinking of maybe getting a whole new remanufactured block while they're available just to prevent any future problems that might happen. We'll see though. As I said I'm new to cars, but I'm learning fast, especially with all the resources on this site. Thanks for the insight!

Yea I was thinking it might not be that bad, but I don't have space or tools to pull the engine right now. I was thinking of maybe getting a whole new remanufactured block while they're available just to prevent any future problems that might happen. We'll see though. As I said I'm new to cars, but I'm learning fast, especially with all the resources on this site. Thanks for the insight!

What I'd do, if you don't mind the suggestion, is to spend the minimal amount of money to to get your current engine going again if it's salvageable. Since you're new to wrenching on cars, I'd run the stock engine for as long as you can, that way if you make any mistakes along the way, you destroy the stock engine and not something you've invested multiple thousands of dollars into. God knows I've made a bunch when I was learning... Once you get space you could get a new block, start amassing parts, and have a fully built motor waiting in the wings for when the car is ready for it.

I'd suggest checking the timing belt first--that's the most common point of failure on a stock 4G63 that hasn't been well maintained. Real easy to check: remove the upper timing cover, one bolt at the front, two on the top on the valve cover, and one at the back. The one at the back is a bi*** with a socket so you'll need a box end wrench for that. Once the cover is off, you can pull and push on the on the timing belt and see if it has a significant amount of slack.

That's a good idea. It's also easy for me to say I'm going to buy the new block now, it'll be a different feeling when I actually have the money in my hand LOL. I'll have to go check the timing belt later. By the way, I noticed yesterday that the little panel on the bottom of the door (exterior) is beginning to separate from the rest of the door. Any idea what to do about that? I haven't searched anything about it so it might be answered somewhere else, but I'm not really sure what to even call it or to search for.

That's a good idea. It's also easy for me to say I'm going to buy the new block now, it'll be a different feeling when I actually have the money in my hand LOL. I'll have to go check the timing belt later. By the way, I noticed yesterday that the little panel on the bottom of the door (exterior) is beginning to separate from the rest of the door. Any idea what to do about that? I haven't searched anything about it so it might be answered somewhere else, but I'm not really sure what to even call it or to search for.
The side skirts? There's little plastic clips that hold that in place, and it's sealed with black silicone.

Would it be considered part of the side skirt? I'm talking about the separate panel on the bottom of the door, above the side skirt. Although it's probably sealed with silicone too. I couldn't take a good picture, so here's one I found online just to show what I mean.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back