The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Hello, my names Dan and I have a 2g GSX addiction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielMarion

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mount Gilead, Ohio
I need some hard facts from the hardened vets out there about this car. I see one, and I go, "Damn that is sexy!". Then I ask, "When have I ever seen one in person?". Never. I see them, 95-99 GSXs, on craigslist from time to time along with the other various assortments and flavors of trucks and Miatas (among other things). But, I do not like those things. NO. They're for the simple minded men, at least in my mind. See, I see a Miata and I go cool. Not, oh my gawd it's a Miata. Same goes for many other cars that I see running amuck on Craigslist and Autotrader. Now, I am by far no performance driven driver. Hell, my first car was an 04 Grand Am that my mom loaned to me so technically my first car hymen has never been broke (careful I'm a virgin). Later, I was loaned yet another car. An 04 Neon. I yipped and hollered when I commanded those cars to 100 M.P.H. but the driving experience left me wanting more. Subconsciously I knew that I wasn't "living" the life. There had to be more, there had to be something else out there. But in my dullard ways of thinking I continued in my benumbed following that I am driving a good car. The car that kids like. Recent events have led to the catharsis of my beloved chariot, the 2004 Neon SXT. So goodbye to the bygone of the Neon, and in the words of Dylan Thomas, "Do not go gentle in to that good night. Rave, rave against the dying of the light.". Now, all cars do serve a means, just as all tools serve a purpose (even politicians), so don't get me wrong I am happy for the time I had. She served me well, and I will miss her. But due to four speeding tickets, insurance is just too high for her and since she was purchased on loan by my mom, I have to carry full coverage. So goodbye Neon, you were always an elment to growing up, pun intended. I will always look forlorn at the back seat, at the place where I bumped my no nos with that nice sophomore. She served me well. She served me well.

Now, on to the meat and patatoes of this post, the 2G Eclipse. Particulary, the GSX AWD version. Yas. I see them for under $2,000 on criagslist nearly all the time, and yes they are ravaged by the hands of virgin highschools who believe that body kits make the ***** come to you. But, bodykits just make you look like a want to be Fast and Furious driver and thus only attract guys so unless your gay you just failed. Also come on people, Paul Walker wasn't that great of an actor. Now, Christopher Walken that's an actor. Anyhow, I grew up around cars and I am no stranger on how to fix cars. I practically drank oil when I was kid and basically sweat gasoline. I'm a smart kid when it comes to writing, and cars. So I know how to work with a car, more so I think I know how difficult these cars are. I've heard the stories and I can't say I am not terrified. But, I need advice from a veteran of this chassis. How hard are they to actually work on? Are they good cars? Could I still have sex in one, I'm kidding? More importantly, what are the cons of this car; not the pros because I can go find that out damn near anyhwere on the interwebs. I need answers, and a Haynes manual can't provide it. I'm in love with the curvaceous body of this car, the bubbly nature and the AWD 4G63 set up. It is a poor mans Evo, just as an SC300 is a poor mans supra. All answers would be greatly appreciated. And no, I'm not some immature brat teen who wants to look cool in his GSX. I'm actually a 19 year old Junior in High School who works at a local gas station and lives with his mom. So, ha! I'm more pathetic than you think.

*Clip note: I have $3,000 in funds to spend on getting ahold of one these, a large pool barn with a lift, and a very nice friend with a pickup. My intentions are to do a Restomod on this car, by the way. Put a bigger turbo, bigger brakes, exhaust, tires and rims, upgraded sound system (not a pimp my ride sound system), paint, and some other things I can not think of right now. I want to save this car, not kill this car. These cars are rare cars, and they need to be treated with the respect that they deserve.

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes, they are good cars. They've gotten a bad rap for a long time because of the fast and furious, no maintaince, body kit, boost controller cranked with no supporting mods, foot buried in the floor board at every stop light generation got ahold of a lot of them for a while and made as much noise as possible when they did. So chances are what ever car you buy will need a lot of TLC and patience. Take your time, research, and love it a little and you'll ended up with rare jewel that's a beast on the streets.:thumb: I would go and look through the build journals. There's a lot of guys doing some really good through builds that really turn out great. Learn how to search on this forum. There is a metric ton of info and chances are whatever problem or question you've had someone's had it before you and the answer is here. Good to hear you want to bring one back. :)

If you want a good 2G GSX that isn't going to require a lot of maintenance right off the bat then I suggest you save more money. $3000 will get you a car that needs new parts here and there. 4-5,000 will get you a NICE car that will go a while without needing anything more than gas and regular oil changes.

Dear Mr. Tyson,

I am actually looking forward to buying the esoteric GSX 2G in rough condition, riced out or otherwise. I feel like it would provide more sentiment when I ratchet away the years of rice and Au rims. Like I said, "I want to save this car, not destroy it.". So, by buying a beater version of this car I feel as if I would be more accomplished in some social justice warrior kind of way. I really and truly want something old and decrypted. I I want to save a car, a GSX. This car, I maintain, is going to catch on like the Supra did. This car is an instant classic, but the gem has not been found.

What I want to reach out for is some knowledge because here in my garage (okay I'll stop) I want to know the tough questions on this car. Like what in the great gatsby is the difference in a 4g63 long block versus the short block? What are some hidden features of this baby cakes? Why does it have an aux jack back in 1995-1999? When the first flash based portable music device was not introduced until 2000 by Sony, and wasn't even sold until 2001 with limited success? I need the knowledge of the owners, so I don't buy a Miata and go full social retard.

Sincerly,

A wise ass

Dear Mr. Blktalon3,

Thanks for the reply, I have been researching them and various builds. I find myself more and more attracted to them. I find it insane that the world record for the fastest built four cylinder engine is held by the GSX, I see these videos of the D.S.Ms. where they just make gobs of power quite like a GTR but with two less cylinders. I also found it humerous that it has a symmerical all wheel drive system. Ah, the 90s! Time to go watch some Full House! Bob Sagget! They have a, Fuller House now? What? What? What is this? No. No! Why can't you damn fools let the society of the 90s die? Huh?! Christ sakes I can feel Monica Lewinsky on my *! Bring back the cars you twats, not the society. Right, where was I? Yes, the GSX. What's with the radio having an aux jack? I mean really what the hell Mitsubishi? You're weird. Thanks, however, Blktalon3 and maybe someday you could throw a wrench at me.

Sincerly,

A wise ass

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back