The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hello! Happy to join!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingofGold

Probationary Member
May 15, 2022
Canandaigua, New_York
Hey everyone, been here awhile but going to try and get past the probationary status by posting as I build my 1G.
Currently going through an engine rebuild and im buying a new/rebuilt head off a local dsm enthusiast here In the finger lakes.
It's 92, and the interior is super clean and undamaged. I bought it off someone who's only had it two years and the timing belt snapped.
It looks almost new with just surface rust which is awesome for being a NY car.
I'll be buying new parts as I go , save for availability, and putting her back together and on the road hopefully by mid summer. I'm a mechanics apprentice, and just getting into the automotive world.

Feel free to drop me any advice, suggestions, or even just some cool ideas to go for.

Whatever parts I replace, I'll have the old ones cleaned up to save, or hand out to whomever may need them.

Happy to be here, happy to learn from you all.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My car started life as a 92 non turbo as well, always liked the odd 1gb’s with the silver bottom trim. Best advice I can give is if you put boost to it track down a turbo transmission, I tried to get by with the non turbo one and the thing did not enjoy life. Gearing is great in the non turbo trans but they don’t hold up to any type of torque.

My car started life as a 92 non turbo as well, always liked the odd 1gb’s with the silver bottom trim. Best advice I can give is if you put boost to it track down a turbo transmission, I tried to get by with the non turbo one and the thing did not enjoy life. Gearing is great in the non turbo trans but they don’t hold up to any type of torque.
I hear you, I managed to get in contact with a local who has a substantial collection of DSM in his back lot and I should be able to pull one for a fair price, plus/minus any rebuilds that may or may not be needed a long the way.

A full on stock transmission rebuild is pretty much unachievable as parts have ran dry. Other than spending $8k+ on a dog box, we’ve sadly pretty much come to fixing broken transmissions with good parts from other transmissions and the few new parts that are available. Fortunately good working transmissions are still out there.

Another piece of advice I can give, if you do decide to go with boost and your existing non turbo harness is in good shape it’s much more headache free to add the couple of wires. There’s been a few instances I’ve helped with these conversions since I did mine, a few were insistent on changing to the harness from a turbo car, and in the process broke several brittle connectors aside from it being much more work. Wiring is real straightforward and simple, and if you go with high impedance injectors and speed density off the rip with ecmlink the wiring is even simpler.

Also keep in mind your existing engine isn’t much different at all from that of the turbo variant. The crank and rods are the same, and the block itself is the same minus the lack of oil squirters which aren’t necessary anyway (when they were more available shops such as Buschur actually preferred the non turbo blocks for their customer builds for this reason). Just some things to keep in mind and saving the research.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back