1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Hello from Northern Ontario Canada

Posted by Jonathan Ouellette, Jun 20, 2019

1. Rebound foam

2. Acoustic foam

3. Boom mat spray

Results are only viewable after voting.
Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Jonathan Ouellette

Jonathan Ouellette Probationary Member

Joined Jun 20, 2019
    Cochrane, ON, Canada
    Hello,

Little intro, got my 1997 eclipse RS from my brother after 5 years of bugging him to sell it to me, he finally caved and its all mine. I am slowly plugging away at repairs but doing a complete over haul as i want to make this car a peice to show off my skills and efforts. I am currently learning upholstery and sewing at my iwn pace, i have a background in autobody and mechanical with a licensed person givi g me the odd pointer or two. I have started with bucket seats which need some repair and i am making new fabrics for them along with repairing foams.

Off the hop i do have a question about sound deadening. Has anyone had experience with rebound foam vs acoustic foam vs spray sound deadener (ie Boom Mat) for the FLOOR of the vehicle. Interior wise i am going to start with that.

Looking forward to being a part of the community and learning more about this machine.

Thank you for reading

Showcar Build 127  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    pat white likes this.
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Welcome!
    While I haven't used acoustic foam or rebound foam, per-se, I have done alot of dynamat and similar brand sound deadener. The spray I have not used. Mats work well, my entire red 92 is dynamatted, save the roof, and it's significantly quieter inside, killed the cabin drone and road noise.

I would pair the foam with something to increase it's damping effect, or go with dynamat, fat mat or the like.

The spray in stuff doesn't seem like a great option to me, as it would need to be fairly thick, and it would end up being somewhat messy and hard to remove if you ever decided to.

Maybe someone with more experience with the particular materials you requested will chime in, but either way good luck with your project! Make sure to fill out a vehicle profile and start a build log so we can follow your progress!

Welcome again and ask questions, we're all here to help! :thumb:

Street Build 164  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

257  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 790  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Dreams Realized

Dreams Realized Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    Sounds like you have an interesting project on your hands! I will also be tearing apart my interior and completely rebuilding it

I am going with aerospace insulation mat as it is thin and lightweight- wrapping my whole floorpan will weigh ~3.5 pounds. But I am doing it for thermal insulation- so I can't speak to it's capability in sound deadening

Then bamboo flooring and accent pieces- I found bamboo slicks cut to 3-7mm thick which makes it perfect for steam pressing into awkward crannies in cars- I LOATH carpeting in vehicles so wanted to do something different

Hopefully we can trade ideas down the road! and Welcome!

Street Build 607  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    This is interesting, please document and share the process when you do this!

Street Build 164  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

257  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 790  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Lenox Belizean likes this.
  5. Lenox Belizean

Lenox Belizean Probationary Member

Joined Jun 19, 2019
    Corozal District, Belize, Central America
    The bamboo thing sounds cool!!

249  25

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Dreams Realized

Dreams Realized Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    I in no way wanted to hijack this thread. But I will do a full write-up when I am working on it with daily updates

Look for it around Winter-Early spring next year.

Street Build 607  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM