The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Hello From Florida - First Project Car (95 GST)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been in the same boat, man. Trying to get some work done on the car between downpours. Florida weather. :rolleyes:

It's a gauntlet in its own! I've formed a 6th sense that lets me know when I have about 10 seconds to cover the engine with a garbage bag and pull all tools into the garage.

And I definitely have a lot of learning to do on the upgrade path. My initial goal is to be in the realm of 250 WHP and I think I have the ingredients to do so at this point hopefully.

After looking most everything over the only hoses that look in poor shape are the hose connecting the BOV to the intake and the rubber hoses connecting the intercooler to the piping, but a boost leak test is definitely in order because like you said, something I can't see may be much worse.

Pulled the plugs, poured a cap of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder, applied dialectic grease to all plug/coil/boot connections, and thought I'd try for another start just for kicks (hadn't tried cranking since I ran some gas out of the system)

And well, she started right up!!! I'm nowhere near done, but it's a huge relief to know that it CAN RUN!

A few days late on this one, but after replacing the master and slave cylinders and bleeding the clutch, the car is moving under its own power!

Coolant temperature seems to stay at normal operating temp, but that doesn't mean timing belt/tensioners/water pump aren't going to be replaced before it's deemed completely road worthy.

Included below is what the old fuel pump looked like, and the rust that was knocked off of it...
I shouldn't have, but I did try WOT in 2nd, boost maxed at 5 psi and it didn't seem happy, had some stuttering. Boost leak test and other maintenance very much in order then.

To date then, what has been done:
-Fuel tank and pump replaced
-Changed oil and coolant
-Clutch master and slave cylinders replaced
-New tires, Nankang NS-20 235/45 R17. They're cheap and don't have half-bad reviews from people using them in a performance setting.
-Wire brushed and sanded the crap off of a lot of stuff

What's next:
-Fuel filter
-Boost leak test/isolate problems/replace rubber where needed
-Check vacuum, replace old piping as needed
-Clean up brake rotors/replace pads/bleed out nasty fluid
-Spark plugs replacement (1 degree colder, gap: ???)
-Check on turbo oil feeder line, it's rusty as hail
-Try to remove and seal rust on rear hatch
-Timing system components
-Maybe motor mounts, thing shakes and vibrates a bit

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
And to celebrate this thing running, I picked up the 2G DSM tuners shirt, every time I look up "2G eclipse how to _____" it always leads me here and I seem to find what I'm looking for, thanks to all who post their wisdom here!

Thank you. Will be a long process for me. I drive mine but the more I dig the more neglect or just pure trash work I find done to this car but she is getting there. Hard to find time between the dsm and my 350z

Hey i also have a dsm and 350Z:cool: And a Jeep.:hellyeah:Toy for every occasion LOL
Just got my Talon, but yeah the deeper i go into the car, the more I find that needs attention or correction. That's typical of these cars anymore, unfortunately.

It is unfortunate the way these car's have been treated, but hey that just gives us a reason to work on the car. I had 3 vehicles myself till some useless d bag decided to steal my crotch rocket while I was at work. What year is your 350z?

Wow, sorry to hear about your bike. The Z is an '05, so no HR or Rev-up, but it's still a 6 speed and a lot of fun to drive!

The 350z has always been a cool car to me, and I'd imagine there are some great bargains floating around by now. Gotta love a VQ. My daily is a 2003 Jetta GLI with 150k on the clock, it's fun but I usually drive it like a granny to try and prolong its life.

I can tell you this, I already like working on the 2G a lot more than a Jetta with a VR6 crammed in the engine bay.

Didn't do anything drive train related today, but took a tip from my dad and applied a few coats of heavy duty floor wax to the hood. It looks better than it did, but still not so good... Money is limited on this project for now though, so something cheap that can make a difference is worth trying.

Also sanded, wire brushed, and scraped the rust spots on the rear hatch. Turns out it has a big old hole. Hopefully body filler products can fix this, if not the search is on for a rear hatch.
I applied "evapo rust" after the sanding, then hit it with some paint that's supposed to turn rust into black primer. I'll see how that works out.

Hood looks a lot better. If it was me I would just try to find a new hatch.

I was surprised by how decent the results were! Most of the car may be getting this treatment until funds are available for a paint job (hopefully within the next decade???)

The previous owner gave me some stuff he's obviously not using any more, 2 sets of NGK 7s and two of the old "big" oil filters that he swears are better than the new small ones.

From searching around the forum for people having the same issue I'm having now under boost, it seems like the 2 main causes are a sizeable boost leak or spark. I'll gap and replace the plugs and see where that gets me, and then see about making a BLT. Replacing plug wires would be interesting since it has a coil on plug conversion and no diagram that I can find.

Hey smoked28, looks like your stuck with the same fast and furious hood as me ;)

Haven't posted for a while but both me and the car are still alive LOL. School put a damper on things.

Since my last post really all I've done is remove things: A/C components under the hood are gone, emissions deleted, and cruise control in is the half delete state. I know there's differing opinions on this but i wanted to simplify things and free up space where possible. PS is going to stay, I have noodle arms.

Plugs and almost all intake fittings have been replaced (the rest will be soon) and the car responds a lot better under throttle.

This car is a lot of fun and is continuing to be a good learning experience

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back