The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hello all

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustydustydoc

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2021
Dewey, Oklahoma
Hi guys, i recently purchased a 96 GST auto with 119k miles. Paid $100 for it, (not a typo). Guy at work had it, parked it because he got a new car. Sat for four years, lost the keys. Drilled ignition, unlocked the wheel, put a battery in it and it fired right up. Runs great, for awhile anyways but thanks to this forum i believe i found the problem (plugwires) because once it builds boost it falls on its face.

The only real issue i have is the ignition and i have looked everywhere online to try and figure it out. I replaced the ignition and when i start the car, and let go of the key, it turns back and shuts itself off every time. I have to hold it by hand or rig something to hold it into the ON position, idk what else to do.

ANY advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sure sounds like a bad ignition switch. It needs to keep 12v to the ECU when you let off the "Start" part. I would do as @motomattx suggests.
You can also do the push button start thing but that looks very shady.

For future reference, as long as you have proof of ownership like a title you can have keys made at a dealership for under $20. Sure as hell beats replacing locks because you destroyed them.

Okay so I changed plug wires and ignition and no luck. Once car builds max boost it falls on its face so bad you have to lift then it’s fine. I don’t need to build max boost to drive it daily but still odd it only does it when it’s at the max.

also put a another new ignition in and it does the same exact thing the other one does, so my guess is something else is wrong.

Do you own a DMM (volt meter)?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back