The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

heim joint shifter cable ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagosa dsm

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2005
pagosa springs, Colorado
Has anybody built my heim joint shifter cable end at the shifter?It was posted in the tech section. I felt it helped the feel of the shifting.I also have the solid ends at the trans and the symborski kit. I would like to know if anybody has had the success that I have had?

Hey, I want to bring this back. I am thinking of doing this to allow for adjustment on stretched shifter cables. From what I calculated, in order to do this, it would be a fraction of the cost of buying new shifter cables.

I am thinking of doing this myself. I think it would like mentioned in the article, it would allow for more solid shifts.

The shift cables shouldn't ever be subject to stretching. For the job they're doing, they're about twice the size they need to be.
I don't know if a heim joint setup would be any less work nor any more payoff than rollerblade bearings.

I would actually want to use the heim joint for adjustability on the length or throw. I makes sense and unfortunately these cable tend to break and stretch like the parking brake.

If your shifter cables are ever undergoing the stress the parking brake cable is, there's something seriously wrong with your gearbox, linkage, guides and style. "Stretch" in shifter cables will be inconsequential, if present at all.
Adjustable-length cables will only change where the shifter sits. To make any change in the shift length or "throw", you need to change fulcrum points in the shifter assembly.

How would you go about changing the Fulcrum points on the shifter? And yes, these cables got thrashed by the previous owner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back