The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Heat barrier gaskets

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmspick

Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Looking for a intake manifold gasket and want to go to one of these. I just don't know which one is the best overall, for reusing/not allowing heat transfer and I don't really want to use factory gaskets with it. I'm in the process of a 6 bolt swap and thought it would be easier to do this now. Looking at these. I don't think any one has compared them yet.

Jay racing's
90-94 1G DSM 4G63 Intake Manifold Thermal Spacers [IMTS-DSM1G] - $40.00 : Jay Racing

Magnus
Magnus Heat Barrier Gasket | Magnus Motorsports

MAPerformance
MAPerformance Intake Manifold Thermal Spacer (1G DSM) - Modern Automotive Performance

MAP/Magnus are probably the same as the materials look identical. As long as they did nothing like physically make the gasket wrong I m sure it won't matter. I tend to be a fan of Magnus so I d lean towards him, but keep in mind he is in Canada so you may have more expensive shipping; Extremepsi should carry them though.

Jay Racings gasket looks to be a completely different material.

I have a Magnus btw and it works fine, just make sure to use a fair amount of silicone to insure these seal.

Funny you posted this as I just pulled my IM and was looking in the classifieds for one of these.

I have a Magnus btw and it works fine, just make sure to use a fair amount of silicone to insure these seal.

I also had a Magnus on my old car and used no silicone and it sealed fine. Held 28psi on a boost leak test. I even had it off and re-used it with no rtv and again it sealed perfect.

Funny you posted this as I just pulled my IM and was looking in the classifieds for one of these.

I also had a Magnus on my old car and used no silicone and it sealed fine. Held 28psi on a boost leak test. I even had it off and re-used it with no rtv and again it sealed perfect.

I too used the Magnus gasket without sealant. No leaks at a 25psi boost leak test. I am however worried about my EGR blowing out the gasket. If it happens i will for sure seal the hole up in the head.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/332412-anti-lag-magnus-heat-barrier-gasket.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/421180-egr-block-off-plug-size.html

I've been running the magnus heat barrier gasket for two or three years, installed dry (and reused countless times) with no issues up to 35psi or so. The EGR port has cooked it a little (no anti-lag), but it's still holding with no leaks.

With that said, I'll probably block the EGR port and replace the gasket with another identical one the next time the IM comes off, since this one has been beat on relentlessly and is starting to show a little warpage.

Way big bang for the buck IMO.

The jays racing gasket is the most legit spacer/heat barrier out there. It will not melt. It will actually reduce transfer.

Do you have to use stock gaskets with it? Those of you using the magnus your using just it and no stock gaskets correct?
If I have deleted the egr is it a good to go ahead and plug the hole in the head as well?

Last edited:
There is no reason to use any sealant on the Magnus heat barrier gasket. All it does is cause a potential leak point due to an uneven surface, and make removing/replacing it difficult.

What is it with everyone's obsession to coat everything with RTV, JB Weld, frog snot, etc.? I could probably count on one hand the areas where it makes sense to use sealant in a 4g63, and even then it's a small amount (or a very light coat, in the case of copper spray on paper gaskets to help hold them in place).

I guess people just like to create more work for themselves. :idontknow:

There is no reason to use any sealant on the Magnus heat barrier gasket. All it does is cause a potential leak point due to an uneven surface, and make removing/replacing it difficult.

What is it with everyone's obsession to coat everything with RTV, JB Weld, frog snot, etc.? I could probably count on one hand the areas where it makes sense to use sealant in a 4g63, and even then it's a small amount (or a very light coat, in the case of copper spray on paper gaskets to help hold them in place).

I guess people just like to create more work for themselves. :idontknow:

I can only speak from personal experience, using copper spray added .73 HP to my setup just because the different color of the gasket. Needless to say, I haven't dyno-ed my car either:thumb:

Sweet thanks for the info. I like the magnus just don't like shipping cost from Canada. Since they are all pretty much the same, im gonna go with best price and shipping price.

Sweet thanks for the info. I like the magnus just don't like shipping cost from Canada. Since they are all pretty much the same, im gonna go with best price and shipping price.

I'm sure you can find a vendor that carries them here in America.

I am putting my IM back on using a Magnus intake gasket and same material gaskets for throttle body and throttle body elbow from an e-bay vendor in Florida. I do not expect any drop in temperature. just re-usability of the gasket...and another .12 HP just by the color change from copper spray, it goes without saying ;)
Bought them after endless debate with myself over the price which I considered too high :argue:
Go figure, they messed up with the shipping sending me two of the same and then twice the missing one :confused: Contacted the seller to return them he said 'keep them', so I ended up with two sets for the price of one :hellyeah:
Good customer service in my book :thumb:
bad shipping department :ohdamn:
can you tell i feel emoticon over my gaskets?

Last edited:
I am putting my IM back on using a Magnus intake gasket and same material gaskets for throttle body and throttle body elbow from an e-bay vendor in Florida. I do not expect any drop in temperature. just re-usability of the gasket...and another .12 HP just by the color change from copper spray, it goes without saying ;)
Bought them after endless debate with myself over the price which I considered too high :argue:
Go figure, they messed up with the shipping sending me two of the same and then twice the missing one :confused: Contacted the seller to return them he said 'keep them', so I ended up with two sets for the price of one :hellyeah:
Good customer service in my book :thumb:
bad shipping department :ohdamn:
can you tell i feel emoticon over my gaskets?
Tell me about it, i ordered some studs off of ebay, and they sent me an unidentified car passengers side mirror, a wiper motor, some microfiber cloths, and the studs. I offered to send it back but the seller declined, told me to keep the stuff. I'd sell it but i dont even know what the hell it is off of.

ExtremePSI, JNZ Tuning, and STM carry them.

Thank you!!

Only thing I notice though is that on the cyclone mani,the EGR valve and hole is non existant on the manifold.The 1g dsm mani on the other hand has a hole obviously for the EGR. Do I have to block the EGR hole in the head or am I ok because the flange on the cyclone mani will just block it shut?

You're fine. Jdm vehicles didn't have egr ports on the intake manifold. That's how they were blocked when they left the showroom floor.

I personally bought the Jays racing one due to it looking more durable. The quality there for sure. If you want better pics of the Jays racing one I can take some of the one I plan on putting on my built motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back