The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

headliner replacment with sunroof

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoddywood

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2004
pembroke pines, Florida
i read the tech article on 1g headliner replacment and i am going to do this as it looks fairly simple providing a second pair of hands is around.my question is about the sunroof and the rubberish trim around the hole.will this trim remove easily from the headliner,and once off will it go back on?also other than the visable hinge of the sunroof does it have any other mechanicals that will make this a hairy process?its a 1st gen so the thing just pops up and down so i couldnt imagine it would have much too it.aside from looking ghetto my headliner is starting to make a flapping sound when driving.its comforting in its way,reminds me of being on a sailboat or something.but its time to join the beautiful people with headliners. :D

I am also going to be doing this, what tech article did you use?
The trim on the sunroof just pulls of, and gets pushed back on when you are done, as well as the trim peices at the front and back of the headliner. The latch just has three srews in it, and it will swing out of the way. It's all pretty simple to get out (mine is already out, just not redone), but be real careful, b/c it is really flimsy where the sunroof is, and you don't want to break it.
Good Luck

--Kyle :talon:

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106056&highlight=headliner

this is the one for the 1g's.

ill handle it with kid gloves.it certainly wouldnt be fun to go from floppy headliner to no headliner due to man handling the thing.thanks for letting me know what lurks under the liner in the sun roof area.

id imagine the cover would be a pain to get to look right .mine is rarely used so im not going to fuss with covering it up to match.id imagine just getting the old cloth off would be a chore and a half.

Thanks for the link bro. One more question. Is there a certain fabric that is to be used or preferred over another? I know I want black, but I am not sure what type of fabric to use, any suggestions?

JoAnns Fabric has headliner material in almost any color.

Usefull tip: I found it easier to pull the headliner out through the hatch rather than trying to squeeze it through the door.

Yea, I was going to go with JoAnn, but what type of fabric?? Does it matter? Does it need to stretch or not stretch, be thick enough or thin enough??

i just had my headliner on a 96 done at a shop in black. They charged me $50, i think its worth it they make it look perfect. Just think your gonna spend money on fabric and adhesive + labor to do it yourself. what if it doesnt come out right the first time? what if you cant get it right? Id say its worth it for $50 to have the pro's do it.

ILLiCliPSE said:
i just had my headliner on a 96 done at a shop in black. They charged me $50, i think its worth it they make it look perfect. Just think your gonna spend money on fabric and adhesive + labor to do it yourself. what if it doesnt come out right the first time? what if you cant get it right? Id say its worth it for $50 to have the pro's do it.

what kinda shop does that... i have not seen a rehoplster shop round where i am currently living, 50 bucks is a steal!

pshhh...i just ripped mine out after seeing this thread tonight. i also have a sunroof, that wasnt the problem, however i mangaged to crack a bunch of the plastic trim peices that go around the rear windows. im hoping i can superglue it back together, so be carefull when you have to pull it out around those plastic peices, pop them off extremely carefully.

yeah actually my old eclipse (a 95 n/t) i got the headliner redone black at a local reupholstery shop and they only charged me 50 dollars- like most of you said.

Now, since i have purchased a gs-t, the headliner is boo-boo. I am thinking of redoing it in Black italian leather! what do you guys think? it might be a little pricey, but i am willing to do it. i love the look.

bigemrich said:
Yea, I was going to go with JoAnn, but what type of fabric?? Does it matter? Does it need to stretch or not stretch, be thick enough or thin enough??

I think its actually called Automotive Headliner Material. Its pretty thin.

i just went there tonight, when u get there just ask for headliner material. the closest thing they had to my beige interior was a dark brown. at first i thought it would look horrible, but i bout it neways, and when i put it on, now i think it looks awesome. the brown contrasts with the beige, its wicked cool. you need about 4 feet of it, dont bother cutting the width.

bigemrich said:
Thanks for the link bro. One more question. Is there a certain fabric that is to be used or preferred over another? I know I want black, but I am not sure what type of fabric to use, any suggestions?

www.yourautotrim.com They sell the headliner fabric. That's were I bought mine. :thumb:

i took mine out last friday,and surprisingly broke nothing.ive yet to re upholster it and wont be able to get to it until next weekend.my passenger side rear window panel was black siloconed to the window?!perhaps the previous owner was attempting a dsm aquarium or was further experimenting on how to do the most half butted job.(my transmission had two wiring harnesses going to it.)i took it right out the rear hatch i wasnt even going to attempt it out the door.the sunroof hole really makes it flimsy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back