The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Headliner material bonding question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0c7

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 2, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I'm redoing my headliner in my 2g. I've pealed off the old nasty fabric and scraped all of the foam stuff off so its just a fiberglass mold now. I purchased some nice black velvet but its thicker and a bit heavier than the old stuff. I followed the tech article http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106056
on try one. I used the 3M stuff he used, but I only sprayed it on the headliner and not the new fabric because the spot I started on was tacky and drying before I was even close to finishing spraying. I worked it on and it looked good, then i noticed a corner was flapping up so I went to spray it and the nozzel was crooked and I sprayed it all over the fabric :( Anyway, I tore it all off and only a few spots actually stuck to the fabric. The spots that stuck stuck very well. My question is, if I have 2 people and 2 cans of the stuff, 1 person spraying the fabric and another on the headliner mold, will it stick? Will the fabric be too heavy?

I tried it today, I coated the entire fiberglass mold piece and some on the fabric, then pressed together. Seems to be holding up, I'll take a look later tonight. Only small problem I had was a couple of bubbles in the spray that slightly soaked through, so two small spots are pasty. I'm sure I can clean it up though.

92awddsm said:
If you are using the 3m trim adhesive, you have to hold the can about 15-20" away before you spay. If not, you will get soak through.

Found that out after the two small spots
:thumb:

Speaking about soak through, is there any way to clean it up? As mentioned, I've got two small spots. Is there any chemical/method I can use to get rid of it without wrecking the adhesion or discolor the material? I used black velet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back