The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Headlights on in "down" position & 2g foglights on a 1g car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Just as the title asks, Is there a way to easily be able to turn the headlights on without making them pop up? I know it would probably cut down vision, but with the addition of my2g fogs I'm wanting to mount,I think it would suffice and look nice for intown driving where there's street lights everywhere.

I know I could run my own wiring to make them come on, but I was hoping there was something simpler, where I could killthe signal to the relay that activates the pop-up motor until i wanted them to pop up anyway... I've looked at the diagrams in the manuals, and it seems as if it's possible by interrupting just one wire, problem is there's no info I can find on where that wire may be.

Any help on this one would be great...BTW I alreadyhave theH4 conversion in the headlights.

Now, the next part,i was really hoping to see a pic or two, but anyway, of the assorted things I kept from the 2g that didn't sell is a set of the nice round fog lights. I really don't have an issue with the 1g OEM fog's looks, I just feel like they could be a lot brighter, and mine are "fogged" both inside and out, and the screws are so rusted up on them, it's going to take a lot more effort than I want to invest to get them apart and polish the inside of the lenses(already done the outside), so I was thinking I'd toss on the 2g units, which after removing the deflector inside the lense they seem as if they are MUCH brighter than the 1g units.

Anyway, wiring and such isn't a problem, neither is the mounting bracket fab, I was just hoping to get a pic to see if it's going to look as good as I hope/imagine it will.

I've never really worried too much about the lighting on my cars, but being I wasn't too much a fan of the 1g chassis after 17 years of owning a 2g, I was trying anything to help the car look newer/brighter, and so far with exception of the headlights which I couldn't find in LED, I've changed every parking lamp, tail light, interior light ..etc..etc..Into LED bulbs, and IMO it has helped the car appear slightly newer instead of having that 20+ years old and dim look to everything

There are two wires going to sub-fusible link 4 in the engine bay junction box (30A, labeled "H / Lamp Door" and "Volet Phare"). The red wire is the power feed for the pop-up motor relay. As you know, the power feed for the pop-up motor relay is pin 2. The relay itself is located in the same junction box and labeled the same as the above fuse.

[01][XX][XX][02][03]
[04][05][06][07][08]
AS VIEWED FROM BOTTOM or WIRE SIDE OF JUNCTION BOX

The red wire is about six inches long.

Having said that, as a possible alternative...

I haven't tried it, but it seems that if you remove the diode (C-14) or the blue w/ yellow striped wire going to it from the column lighting switch (pin 14 of the C-06 dash connector), you should have fully manual control of the pop-up motors via the original pop-up switch. When the column switch is turned to head lamps on, it uses the circuit involving the diode to bypass that switch, turning the lamps up. Thus, without the diode in place, the only way the pop-ups will function is by the original pop-up switch.
The diode is located on the body harness leading down to the passenger side kick panel by the door lock control unit and the three control harness-to-body harness connectors in that area. The diode is pictured below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The pop-ups will stay in whatever position they are in when the relay is pulled. Pulling the relay would be no different than unplugging each of the motors. In either case, the control for the pop-ups is "eliminated" as there would be no power getting to the motors. One would be required to get under the hood to hook something back up to make them work again.

Since the goal is simply to separate the control of the pop-up mechanism from the lighting circuit, the diode could very easily be the way around it.

great info on the diode, thanks for the info and the video fellas, I love the "sleepy eye" look

well I went out to my car, oulled the kick panel, pulled the wires out and nothing, no diode!! did they hide it somewhere else on certain years? mines a 91

Last edited:
well I went out to my car, oulled the kick panel, pulled the wires out and nothing, no diode!! did they hide it somewhere else on certain years? mines a 91
I can't say. The FSMs shows them in the same location for both '90 and '91 models.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back