The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Headlight mods complete!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny_2G_Talon

Probationary Member
May 23, 2021
Airdrie, AB_Canada
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My long awaited headlight modifications are finally done! (Well, almost… more details on that this posting.) With a spare pair of headlights sold to me by a friend of mine, me & my buddy started by separating the headlights (using an oven to heat it up for separation) and used some colour matched paint to make the housing black. After putting them back together, we polished them up and put them aside until we had time to take the front bumper off. Geez was it ever a long process, almost 3 hours to get the bumper off! But we were mostly successful none the less, while we were at it we installed the LEDs and switchbacks I ordered awhile back and they look SICK… besides the daytime running lights which hyper flash due to a grounding issue, this was caused by a poor aftermarket stereo installation which was not grounding properly and takes power from the cigarette lighter. I have plans to get it fixed soon along with replacing the current stereo deck with something a little nicer, more details later.

I would strongly suggest next time you have your headlights apart to look into some type of projector retrofit, its not that much more work and the lighting is SOOOOO much better than just putting in some led bulbs...

I would strongly suggest next time you have your headlights apart to look into some type of projector retrofit, its not that much more work and the lighting is SOOOOO much better than just putting in some led bulbs...

Crisp!!

Ooooh those do look quite nice, I’ll have to do some research into those 👀

I'm trying to find pictures of my retrofit. The 2gb headlights have the best beam pattern of any halogen headlight that I have worked with, but that's a low bar and there is A LOT of room for improvement with modern optics. I'm always a big fan of TheRetrofitSource.com products. I've worked with the MiniD2S and FX-R 3.0 (the latter is what I have in my DSM) and while they're pricey, you absolutely get what you pay for with these.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/hid-retrofit-issue.529120/#post-153765420 This thread has some decent info and photos.

I don't have a picture of the finished headlights installed, but this shows them off a little. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/m...he-dangers-of-nostalgia.517243/post-153729327

Then of course, obligatory crappy beam pattern photo. The photo is crappy, I mean. The beam pattern is glorious.

Since you've already pulled the lens off, most would consider the hard part already complete, especially if you pick a screw-in type projector style like the Mini H1. I picked a larger projector and as a result had much more work to do, but it's definitely not necessary if you're not super picky like I am.

Definitely thumbs up on the black bezel, by the way. That's much improved over the original silver.

Yeah, the issue with the 2ga lenses is space, it's a premium. The 2gb has much more room to work with, that's one reason I went with the smaller screw in projector and not the fx series. Looks great though!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back