The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

headgaskets and head studs?6 bolt block? what to do?

brrrnntsshhhh

Proven Member
75
0
Aug 28, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
ok so I have a few questions, so bear with me.

I am going to be running a pte 50 trim, 880cc, dsmlink and plan to run about 22-24 psi.
I think I blew my headgasket from running a bit too much boost on t25 with stock intercooler and detonating, which was very stupid.

I blew my headgasket and it happens that I need to do my timing belt. I was wondering if I should get a cometic headgasket or just an OEM hg. I was also thinking about getting arp head studs also, just wondering what input you guys have and where are the best places to shop for one.

then I got to thinking about just swapping in a 6 bolt block while i was at it, if that would be worth it. should I just go with a 6 bolt?
 

daren_p

DSM Wiseman
4,608
92
Nov 22, 2004
Newmarket, ON_Canada
If your 7 bolt is fine, I see no reason to swap in a 6 bolt, unless you have alot of spare change laying around. For the kind of boost your talking about running I'd just go with the mitsu composite and some ARP headstuds. This combo has been proven to hold quite abit of boost. Metal head gaskets tend to be hit and miss as far as sealing goes, and you need to get the mating surfaces resurfaced.
 

andymoraitis

Proven Member
3,241
149
Jan 25, 2004
Utica, Michigan
Exactly. The OEM composite can handle some serious boost on a good tune and the ARP's are a sure bet for safety margin. I'd be concerned about your tune though if you blew an HG with a T-25. Make sure that's right before you go running your target boost on the bigger turbo.

With respect to the seven bolt, have the crankshaft endplay measured and it it's in spec, hang on to it. I wouldn't do a swap unless I had to.

Good luck,

Andy
 

SinaiTSi

Proven Member
872
15
Aug 5, 2005
Misawa, Japan, Asia
Wow. I am so glad to have read your reponses. It seems that so many people just suggest a metal HG because it's metal, it holds more boost........it has to seal better, right? Not necessarily. I just thought I'd third what you guys said even though you have plenty of rep. and you don't need my 2 cents. Good job guys.
 

95GSXBLUR

Proven Member
405
0
Sep 28, 2002
Indanapolis, Indiana
To ask an additional question on the same subject - what if you were planning on running even higher boost - 28PSI (similar turbo) - would a cometic gasket be necessary and is milling of the head absolutely necessary? even on a low milage motor? ARPs are in reguardless. - What do you guys think?
 

ceedawg

Supporting Member
1,529
217
Jun 2, 2004
laurelton, New_York
brrrnntsshhhh said:
ok so I have a few questions, so bear with me.

I am going to be running a pte 50 trim, 880cc, dsmlink and plan to run about 22-24 psi.
I think I blew my headgasket from running a bit too much boost on t25 with stock intercooler and detonating, which was very stupid.

I blew my headgasket and it happens that I need to do my timing belt. I was wondering if I should get a cometic headgasket or just an OEM hg. I was also thinking about getting arp head studs also, just wondering what input you guys have and where are the best places to shop for one.

then I got to thinking about just swapping in a 6 bolt block while i was at it, if that would be worth it. should I just go with a 6 bolt?
6 bolt,ARP head studs definitely!
 

ivanr4g63

Proven Member
1,022
11
Jan 11, 2003
Linden/Front Royal, Virginia
6 bolt will be a smart/best choice... but your wallet will have the final call.

Most people are going to urge you to get a metal HG since you plan on a 50 trim... I'd say stick with an OEM. From personal experience I will Urge you to get ARP head studs, with a good brand head gasket, for instance "OEM hg + ARP studs" work great.

I've been using Felpro + ARP's several ocations, and know of several people who have had good reviews.

As long as the job is done right, it should seal properly and hold a great amount of boost.
 

92awddsm

DSM Wiseman
4,877
83
Jan 17, 2004
Chesterfield, Virginia
ivanr4g63 said:
6 bolt will be a smart/best choice... but your wallet will have the final call.

Most people are going to urge you to get a metal HG since you plan on a 50 trim... I'd say stick with an OEM. From personal experience I will Urge you to get ARP head studs, with a good brand head gasket, for instance "OEM hg + ARP studs" work great.

I've been using Felpro + ARP's several ocations, and know of several people who have had good reviews.

As long as the job is done right, it should seal properly and hold a great amount of boost.


I second Ivans opinion. I have personally ran 25+ psi with a t04b v-trim(slightly smaller and less efficient than the 50) with oem hg and arp studs. I didnt even worry about a metal hg untill I switched to the 60-1.
 

brrrnntsshhhh

Proven Member
75
0
Aug 28, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
ok, now im not so sure if I need the headgasket anymore, I just did a compression test and cylinder 4 runs 175, the rest of them run 145. My motor has 217k miles so i figure the 145 would be normal wear and tear. Am I wrong? What should I do?
 

ceedawg

Supporting Member
1,529
217
Jun 2, 2004
laurelton, New_York
brrrnntsshhhh said:
ok, now im not so sure if I need the headgasket anymore, I just did a compression test and cylinder 4 runs 175, the rest of them run 145. My motor has 217k miles so i figure the 145 would be normal wear and tear. Am I wrong? What should I do?
I'd still upgrade to a freshened 6 bolt,rings ,95 pistons and call it a day!I like close to even compression all across the board.
 
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Top