The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Headgasket size please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YungTlon

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2018
Pueblo, Colorado
Alright gurus I will be posting this with a little more info this time hoping for a answer with the Newley provided information, I tried posting on tuners but no hits. So I’m still trying to figure out the right headgasket size.
My head is reading about
5.190”
And my pistons sit about 5-7 thousandths above deck. I wish I had a dead nuts number for that but by no means am I very good at using the dial Indicator. And I will be running a gsc s3 with a peak lift of 11.70mm. This is how I was thinking but got lost.
factory heads measure at 5.200”
Mine reading 5.190” has about 10 thou taken off. Factory headgasket size is .051”
With the pistons sticking 7 though above deck that’ll be .051-.007” that’ll leave a quench of .041”? But then I got super lost when I brought the cams into the picture. Any input would help, thanks!

Unless you have flat top pistons you aren't going to get a real quench.

Do a mock up assembly and clay the pistons to measure piston to valve clearance.

I always do the math on quench area but he is correct unless pistons are flat its not truly quench area. I would clay pistons to make sure on valve clearance only way to know for sure, with those cams and a head decked that much plus a block decked enough to have positive protrusion like that you may end up tight on valve to piston clearance on stock thickness gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back