The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Headers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxlaw

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2003
Sandia, Texas
I am new to the DSM world, i am a Mustang dude, but really enjoy the DSM. I have a 93 AWD Talon and am kind of curious, why dont you guys used headers instead of Ported 2g exhaust manifolds?? I know that headers are more efficient and usually produce more power, so there has to be a reason why no one is using the headers. I have seen them and they seem just as cheap as some of these people that sell the ported 2G's. Kind of curious.

Most people use SFP(South Florida Performance) Tubular race headers or manifolds.

They are very expensive compared to the 2g manifolds. The HP gains are minimal for street driven cars. Most are prone to cracking. Most are only used in dedicated track cars where every amount of power is needed. Basicsally, they're not worth it.

PS- I'm a mustang guy too :thumb:

Yeah i love mustangs, and i wonder how hard it is going to be to get these things to run. My mustang ran 10.51@136 on a 5 spd. I really find these cars intriguing. I had a 90 laser turbo that broke the timing belt and of course you know what happened after that. I got it for $500 and fixed it and sold it for $3000. But i drove it for weeks and just fell in love with it, I added 3" exhaust (pressbent), k&N and free mods, kind of rerouted the hose to get the boost up, (i know it is not the right way, but i was trying to sell it). Anyway took it out the street races and lined up with a 00GT. He got me by half a car and he had exhaust and gears. If I had AWD that night I would have slapped him down. After that just fell in love with the little cars. So now i just got me a 93 Talon AWD w/ blown clutch, gonna put a ACT 2600 in it and start on this little sucker. LOL. See what i can do. But i know on Mustangs the headers are big increases, didnt know about these little cars. I found some headers the other day for $500 and it looks like the ported 2g's are going for around $400. Maybe wrong on price but i thought that is what i saw. So i thought there must be a reason why people are not using headers.

Attachments

• lxlaw10.jpg
    lxlaw10.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 163
nobody even mentioned...its "Header"...4-bangers only have 1 (correct me if im wrong)

Well probably because noone really cared and they knew what i was talking about. Usually people correct people on little things like that so they can make other people think they have great knowledge of something that they absolutely know nothing about.

Note that you can readily pick up ported 2g manifolds in the $250 range; don't go spending $400 on one.

All the reasons cited above apply; the cast manifolds flow well and they're *much* tougher than headers.

Another point worth considering is that the cast manifolds are easier to heatshield, which makes a big difference for a daily driver.

There is no point in putting a heat sheild on a stainless tubular header as it displaces less than 1/3 of the heat that cast metal does so even with no shield there is less heat under the hood anyways. We also ceramic coat our headers with again even further reduces the heat that radiates from the manifold.

Here is a pic. This is a miata manifold the 4G63 manifold will be completed in the spring and on my car as a tester. Its made from 321 Stainless Steel, welded with 342 rod, heat treated then ceramic coated after for durability (as an option) All tubes are made with 321 thick wall .125 thou stainless to resist cracking. We weld with a much higher grade of stainless which again really helps resist cracking. 321 is far superior than 304 for header fabrication. If you want more info on it check out Burn's site, they are stainless gods.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Stainless_article/stainless_article.html

Somebody else provided this site to me a while ago and it really helped me understand a lot about stainless. Here is also a pic of what it looks like. Note this is a miata header not 4G63 i'll post pics when its done.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back