The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Headers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHLOORIT

Probationary Member
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas, Pennsylvania
With christmas coming up i plan on asking my old man for new headers and exhaust. I was wondering what opinions people had to what are the better headers and what is a good full exhaust system? Thanks :dsm:

If you plan on staying non-turbo, I'd go with just about any 4-2-1 header (OBX, SSAutoChrome, GReddy) seeing as though 4-1 headers are for top-end speed (found that out the hard way :(). I've also heard great things about Megan Racing's full catback exhaust. :cool:

yea i plan on stayin N/A for now atleast cause i'm a poor college kid and cant afford the turbo kit and the install fees

has anybody heard anything good/bad about pacesetter? thanks for the replay dsmmyth :dsm:

pasesetter=shit :thumbdown i have hardley heard anything good about them i know i wouldnt but it for mine thats just my $0.02 :talon:

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but what is the install time for one?

Like posted about i found out the hard wya. I got the Greddy Header 4 - 1 i lost torque like a tool, but the top end is way stronger. I always have to play catchup from a stop, but from a roll i could tell my car was quicker then stock. I hear 4 - 2 - 1 is better for low end. I dunno if this is true or not.

truECLIPSE said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything but what is the install time for one?

Depends on how rusted in your factory header is to the block. It took me an hour extra because I had to wack it out of place with a 2x4. Remember, the more prepared you are for the task the shorter it will take. Make sure you have a breaker bar to break the bolts loose for underneath the chassis, a socket extension, and some jack stands.

But about 2 hours tops.

truECLIPSE said:

it ended up taking me close to 4 hours, because my car bolts decided they would just strip and the heads would break off, and they were practically welded in. so i had to drill new holes through the old bolts which were not one with the flange. it was a bi***.

ssautochrome header-@150 on ebay
test pipe- @30 on ebay
and a catback exhaust of your choice

header install took me about 4 hours. This is with just me and a friend working and neither of us had done it before.

I did lose a little torque, but it was quicker on the top end. I could tell that it breaths better and it made the exhaust note a little more mellow, and it sounds better at WOT also.

my and a buddy threw my dc sport 4-2-1 header in about 2-3hrs cause the bolts are tight so we heated them up ...to make them lose ...and my gains i noticed on take off and when running on the freeway....

neowave2109 said:
my and a buddy threw my dc sport 4-2-1 header in about 2-3hrs cause the bolts are tight so we heated them up ...to make them lose ...and my gains i noticed on take off and when running on the freeway....

I've had the DC Sports on my car for a while. It's pretty inexpensive and I felt gains from low end to top end. :thumb:

I have been flamed b4 for saying I have DC Sports. "They only make stuff for hondas, you ricer!" Well... not anymore. It's pretty fun to pop the hood and shut up a dumbass too. So get DC Sports. It's good, it's pretty cheap, and it will entertain you.

I love my OBX. :D

With all the stories on here about how lackluster an investment a header was I was nervous but wanted to complete my exhaust. Maybe it's just because I had the header and test pipe put on at the same time, but WOW. I noticed a gain right off the line and throughout the entire powerband. It was like night and day, honestly.

The car is a LOT louder, almost to levels that make me nervous about cops, and it's a lot harder to conduct conversations in the car while at speed, but it was quite a worthy investment.

I got both for $225 and my buddy Kyle put them on. :thumb:

:dsm:

hey dsmtuners...when i get my car back from the shop i wanna look into a header and get my custom piping on. i already got a test pipe, which is a very noticeable gain! but, is that correct about a 4-2-1 header better for low end, and a 4-1 header for top end? i car more about off the line, than on down the road! so i guess i should just look into the 4-2-1? i was just curious about which was what to make sure before i got one!

jwreed09 said:
hey dsmtuners...when i get my car back from the shop i wanna look into a header and get my custom piping on. i already got a test pipe, which is a very noticeable gain! but, is that correct about a 4-2-1 header better for low end, and a 4-1 header for top end? i car more about off the line, than on down the road! so i guess i should just look into the 4-2-1? i was just curious about which was what to make sure before i got one!

The 4-2-1 header is for low end. Good luck.

hey guys...i just ordered my 4-2-1. it's not a obx or ssautochrome. but it's made from stainless steel so i figured i'd hit it up.

actually i just read the header has a chrome finish..so it'll prolly chip and stuff! but if that's the case i'm just gonna buy some header heat wrap! can you believe this crap...i'm ordering crap for my engine still and don't even have the new one installed yet. haha...IDIOT! LOL

I have the ssautochrome 4-1 and I did notice a little bit of low end loss of power,but nothing big,definatly gained from about 3500 rpm and up it really opened up since then.

i finally got my header...according to the site on ebay it was a 4-2-1 header. but they sent me a 4-1 header. o well....haha. i finally got a header so it's all good. i also got my b&m replica short shifter today too from ebay! can't wait to get my motor put in and get the parts on!

on the obx header on ebay it has the header but also says downpipe does that replace the cat converter

the downpipe does not replace the catalyic converter....the end of the downpipe meets with the cat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back