The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmm-maybe they do jet hot them- I thought it was a paint. I'll have to call those guys to find out, I was trying to get a spread of opinions. Oh and by the way, thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah- I was thinking it would probably flake off but I dont have much experience with high temp paints. I was keeping my fingers crossed to see if it was a possibility but perhaps not.

My whole turbo kit from AGP is ceramic coated. Its not paint.

I was there while ben did it. They do a top quality job.

Well there is a guy down here that goes to some meets that painted his manny with some ceramic paint about a year ago. It looks like it did the day he painted it... No flaking, chipping or anythign like that.

didn't see this was covered, but thermo-tec does sell a kit to seal there wraps, i think its a resin of some sort and it impregnates their wraps and forms a water resistant outer skin.

I think he's talking about the "Hi-Heat Coating" that comes in a spray can and is good for 2000*F (when sprayed on their wrapping, 1200*F on bare surfaces). ThermoTec's instructions say to apply this coating after the install of their header wrap to "increase the life of the material, change the color and seal the pores allowing less penetration of liquids." I wrapped my header with ThermoTec and used the spray, I used the black graphite in 50' of 1" wide strips and had about 5 feet left left over when done.

Jason

Attachments

• header_wrapped.jpg
    header_wrapped.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 520
Can someone post some links ? I always heard that the termo wrap would kill what ever it wrapped, and wasn't good for a "driven" car, just those cars that race for 30sec.s then shut down.. I guess I could buy about 1000ft of this stuff for my stealth, the under the hood temps rivel the RX-7 ( which is the main reason they die, from what I've heard )..

I have a Civic also that was going to recieve a home made turbo, but I bought my stealth, and sold all the civic stuff, but the V-AFC will work just like a S-AFC, but it has an RPM activated switch that is adjustable, and the fuel curve can automaticly be changed once the preset RPM is reached. Sounds like a good think to use with nitrous on a car that starts loosing boost at 4500RPMs huhhh ??

I bought the V-AFC thinking vtec head on the civic, but now is going on my 3/S as a nitrous activation switch for high RPM..

FULL boost at 2200RPMS
Alcoy comes on at 11psi
boost starts to fall at 4500RPMs
At 4800RPMs the 50 shot comes on with a little bit more fuel ( plus what the nitrous kit gives ).

If/when I the TD05 adpator plates are done, I'll be able it hold over 20PSI to redline, but as it is the TD04-9Bs are gonna be run to the max..

I'm sure dumb people are going to trip when I show them to injectors nozzles in the intake track, and say, "yup, twin turbos, nitrous, and alcohol".

with temps at about 1200-1500 degrees as you said, how long do you think the thermo-wrap will stay moist to cause rust.
I'm thinkin the water trapped under there will dry up like a minute after you start the car

Originally posted by FourG63 97GST
with temps at about 1200-1500 degrees as you said, how long do you think the thermo-wrap will stay moist to cause rust.
I'm thinkin the water trapped under there will dry up like a minute after you start the car

I think that its the rapid cooling that attracts moisture and the wrap traps the moisture against the manifold and causes it to rust.

just a thought, fiberglass is fire proof. it resists heat very very. I know that they make high temp resin. if the thremo tech is porus why not just paint it with resin after you put it on. it would eb on there permently but do you really plan on taking it off? and fiber glass is water proof as well. and it sticks to metal

Funny, I had that same fiberglass idea too.. But it seems like it would have been done before if it works as well as it sounds like it should.. That would definatly keep water out..

Where can I get this termo-wrap ?

If you are looking for the black graphite wrap you can get it here www.optauto.com/webstore/departments.asp?dept=855&last=1431 . This wrap is quite similar to fiberglass; actually, I think that it is made of fiberglass. When wrapping you’re suppose to wet the strips to make more pliable (opps, didn’t read that until I was done), wrap and then let dry before applying the hi-heat coating. When handling/using the dry wrap it left fine dust like fibrous particles behide. I could feel it inching on my hand/arms. The “Caution” on the directions also state, “Due to fiberglass like nature of this material, it may cause a slight skin irritation”. A good think to note is that the container states, "contains no asbestos or carcinogens", still probably took a few years off my life with the amount I ingested:p .

Jason

I own a 97 Suzuki TLS V-twin motorcycle and I had the header and exhaust pipes Jet Hot coated and then wrapped them with DEI exhaust wrap and it has held up very well for over 5000 miles. My dad is a street rodder and we jet hot coat all things exhaust, it is definitely worth it. When I port my manifold and o2 housing I am going to send them in for a coating inside and out.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

They are great people and the best in the business. Sorry I took so much room.

Has anyone tried wrapping the ucip to keep it cool. Mine feels extremely hot after driving awhile. I know it has to be heating the air right back up after its been intercool-ed. I figure wrapping could save a few degrees in intake temps.

Thermotec wrap keeps heat inside and only absorbs a little bit of it. You dont want to do that as it may even make the intake a tiny bit hotter. If anything just wrap the manifold and o2 and it shoudl help a lot. Also go here if you want some type of CAI http://www.frii.com/~maphill/airdam.html
Hope I helped,

Austin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back