The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candela

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
Austin, Arizona
Do any of you use this? If so, then what kind and where did you get it. My heatshiel is off the car and it is hot as fugg!!! I saw some stuff today @ lopers, but wanted to wait and see if there were any recomendations from you guys...thanks

DEI is good. Can get it from summit. You can also wrap your entire system with it as well, or maybe in the hot spots to keep it cool. It is more of a safety precaution then a horsepower adder ( thats how its advertised..... to increase power ).
The only reason it gives you a few more ponies ( if any ) is because it keeps the heat down. Overall your turbo will be a happy camper if you choose to put it around the mainfold. If you are N/A its not really worth the time because turbo motors get hot as f*ck. Hell feel the hoods after 45 minutes of running it! :rolleyes:
Erik

yes buy the stuff at Lopers. I've used it and Black95GSX uses it.

i am sure some of you have seen the tube headers they have pics of here on this site, in the parts area. i want those, would using header wrap be safe? also i figure why not do the whole damn exhaust. any suggestions?

Safe.... it wouldn't hurt. I don't see how it would be bad. I suggest you do this on a free slowing exhaust and not restrictive like a stock system. Last thing you want to do is put it up in down a restrictive exhaust system and keep the heat inside.
The reason I say this is because a more free flowing exhaust system will get rid of the heat faster so it won't retain as long. It will stay cooler with a well flowing exhaust v.s. a stock exhaust. Its all logically... just stop and think about it for a second.
O one thing. If you want to do the whole exhaust system, don't do the muffler or cat just the pipes.
Erik

Hey John ,

Did you and gsx wrap the whole manifold and turbo?? Did you still keep the heat shield? The stuff at lopers is that thermo tec or w/e right? I just want to make sure that we're talking about the same thing... Its 37bucks, so I didnt buy it, but if you guys think it works then Ill do it...

That is a t3/t4 manny huh? Those are probably easier to wrap than a 2g manifold. Kevin, do you know how many roles he used, or was that one role of the thermo tec sufficient enough for the whole job? Thanks...

BTW- that valve cover (powder coated??) looks great!!!

if you run any kind of after market DP it is a very good idea to pick up a roll of thermotec wrap, and wrap from the O2sensor housing if you still have one to the flex section, and if you also have a crappy or non existent exhaust manifold heatshield it is a good idea to wrap that. it may be a #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% to do, but is a smart thing to do :D

once i pull my car apart again i'll be wrapping the exhaust side of my turbo.

another option is ceramic coating. will keep heat inside the pipe, such examples would be hp coatings and jet hot coatings. i'm not sure that they sell ceramic coating for do-it-yourselfers. if anyone knows of a DIY ceramic then please post, and no, its not the same as high temp paint.

header wrapping works really well with a turbo, because really the turbo uses the exahust heat to spin the turbine, in energy transfer terms, the header, or manifold wrap will keep the heat in, more energy for the turbo.

Just wanted to say thanks...I appreciate everyones posts on the subject, it helped me out!!

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?2X376545

Bottom of the page. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

TURBO WRAP KIT
Our turbo wrap kit is designed to keep the heat in the turbine housing where it belongs. Keeping the heat away from the compressor housing helps reduce compressor outlet temps so that your intercooler has less work to do. Also by keeping the gases in the turbine housing as hot as possible, they maintain maximum velocity on the way to the turbine wheel.

heat wrap does make sense in theory but I am not sure if it works on such short distances like that from our head to turbo. Also, by holding all that heat into the exhaust manifold, it can cause cracks if used for extended periods of time. My suggestion would be to look towards other places to spend your money.

Alot of people told me headers for the 2nd generation non-turbo is not worth the money. Has anyone tried putting on headerwrap on their stock exhaust manifold for a little performance increase? Is it worth the time and effort?

Wierd matt, I just took my heatshield off today because it cracked by one of the bolts so it was rattleing (really bad under 2500 rpms). I was originally going to get a greddy header, but I'd personally rather have nitrous, so I was gonna get some cheaper ones, (even though decently made ones still arn't cheap) and I haven't heard nothing good about the effiency of buying an aftermarket header, so I'm going to throw some wrap on their and let that be all.

How could a machine shop port the stock header? They aren't circular, and wouldn't the instant change of size from the exhaust outlets on the head to a ported stock header cause tubulence in the exhaust flow?

The exhaust ports on the head are just a little bigger than the inlet side of the exhaust manifold. So the port matching just to the same size of the ports would in theory be good for it. You could even go larger but you'd have to port and polish out the exhaust ports to match the new size.
The exhaust manifolds frequently crack between cylinders 2 and 3. It's the hottest point on the manifold since all the runners come together right around in there. They almost all break on Chrysler's 4 cylinders. 2.4L, 2.0L Sohc, 2.0L Dohc on both front exhaust engines and rear exhaust engines.

I've got both a header and the wrap. I've wrapped my cold air and my greddy ss header. I don't know that it would be worth the effort on the stock manifold. I didn't really notice that much difference if any. That and the wrap isn't exactly cheap either. I'd save the money for something else unless you get a header. If you buy one... wrap it.
Doug

To the moderators, thank you for the space and I know this topic has been brought up but my search on multiple sites has yielded no answers.
Basically, I know that thermally insulating the turbine housing, exhuast manifold and DP will increase thermal efficiency of the turbo as HEAT=ENERGY; and I also realize that it will reduce underhood temps-both reasons to use a wrap. Unfortunately, I also know that 1500 degree porous material upon cooling will instantaneously trap water and hold it against the castings equating rust. The sure fire answer is to have everything coated professionally to prevent rust after wrapping but my question is if I were to use a high grade-high temp paint then wrap the parts, would they still rust prematurely? Will the paint since it will be in contact with the wrap adhere properly and stay coated? If so, what are the best ways to prep and where can I get the appropriate paint? Any help is appriciated!:confused:

i've wondered something similar to that. Wal-Mart sells a high-temp ceramic engine spray paint stuff. I wondered how well that would hold the heat in and how well it would stand up to the heat of a turbo engine. Might work well when coupled with high-temp wrap.

Well you can use high-temp exhuast paint but it doesn't last.

Best answer is have it perfessionally coated.

Well the main reason I ask is to prevent the down time and save $$$ on coatings. I know Ben and Kevin at AGP use a nice silver high temp paint that works pretty well but under the conditions I am stating-will it still do so?

Well I'm getting all my IC pipes kevin is making for me "jet-hot coated" which is what I think they do to their manifolds also.

Basically I think the paint will flake off underneath the wrap and that will do you no good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back