The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Header Welding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribal_RS_96

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Ok, after all the troubleshooting in the world. I found the reason to the loss of power.

The aftermarket Ebay header and downpipe has a opening at the connection between the header and the downpipe.

I thought it was a headgasket because when i sat and let the car idle I noticed bubbling in the overflow bottle, thats from my bad gasket in my thermostat housing gasket thats connected to the head.

I heard of stories where J-B weld works but I would rather have it welded around to prevent it from happing again. What welder would I need if the header/ downpipe is supposedly made of T-304 stainless steel with CNC?

I would use 316 SS rods, but thats cause I have 309 & 316 at my shop. That ebay crap is thin, concentrate most of your heat on the flange and not the collector. Let it cool after every inch or so of weld or you will warp the flange.

Ok, it looks like I might have to take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it. Nobody I know has the right setup at all. But I will keep looking for someone to weld it, Ill pay them and give them lunch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back