1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Head swap onto 2.6L block?

Posted by Christopher Bowen, Nov 7, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Christopher Bowen

Christopher Bowen Probationary Member

Joined Nov 5, 2019
    Olathe, Kansas
    So yeah, I'm not to sharp and lucked up into a mighty max with the 2.6 power plant and 5 speed trans. Can I swap the 2.6 head for something mpi like a 2.0 from an eclipse or a 2.4? Would love to boost this little guy.

2. Dhan

Dhan Supporting Member

Joined Apr 29, 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    Pretty sure that 2.6L in the Mighty Max is the same as the one that’s in the Mitsubishi Starion, which was the 4g54 motor. The DSM motor is a 4g63- a 2.0L motor, so you’ve got two different displacements there. Different blocks, so doubt oil and coolant passages would line up doing just a head swap.

I’d ditch that 2.6L and install a 4g63 long block, ECU, and the supporting mods.

2K  4

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It wont work, nothing would line up.

Drag Race Build 3K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Christopher Bowen

Christopher Bowen Probationary Member

Joined Nov 5, 2019
    Olathe, Kansas
    Right on good to know. As you can probably tell, I'm not the most clued up guy on this subject. As far as transmission goes will the 4g63 long block bolt up and if not where would I find such a gem.

5. Hickory-NC-2Ggsx

Hickory-NC-2Ggsx Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    Yeah you need a 2.4(4g64) engine from a mighty max to bolt a 4g63 head on.

Street Build 375  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM