The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Head swap onto 2.6L block?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Bowen

Probationary Member
Nov 5, 2019
Olathe, Kansas
So yeah, I'm not to sharp and lucked up into a mighty max with the 2.6 power plant and 5 speed trans. Can I swap the 2.6 head for something mpi like a 2.0 from an eclipse or a 2.4? Would love to boost this little guy.

Pretty sure that 2.6L in the Mighty Max is the same as the one that’s in the Mitsubishi Starion, which was the 4g54 motor. The DSM motor is a 4g63- a 2.0L motor, so you’ve got two different displacements there. Different blocks, so doubt oil and coolant passages would line up doing just a head swap.

I’d ditch that 2.6L and install a 4g63 long block, ECU, and the supporting mods.

Pretty sure that 2.6L in the Mighty Max is the same as the one that’s in the Mitsubishi Starion, which was the 4g54 motor. The DSM motor is a 4g63- a 2.0L motor, so you’ve got two different displacements there. Different blocks, so doubt oil and coolant passages would line up doing just a head swap.

I’d ditch that 2.6L and install a 4g63 long block, ECU, and the supporting mods.

Right on good to know. As you can probably tell, I'm not the most clued up guy on this subject. As far as transmission goes will the 4g63 long block bolt up and if not where would I find such a gem.

Plenty of people turbocharging the 2.6 in Australia, They're quite strong, really depends what you want from the car. Its not exactly going to rev like a 4g63t, but with 30% more capacity it wont need to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back