The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Head swap and very high oil pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90turbotsi

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2002
Owings Mills, Maryland
I just finished my head swap after my 5K OEM belt took a crap on me and took out my motor. While I was in there I properly wired up my electric autometer oil pressure gauge. I never noticed any abnormal oil pressure with the stock gauge but figured to be accurate id get a real one and such.
I have the sensor in the front port of the 90 oil filter housing, the one which was plugged up and requires a allen wrench to get out. When I started my car and let it run for a while I got in and looked over a few things. The oil pressure at idle was 20-40ish psi depedinging on the rpms from the cams and at this point my poorly set idle. Once I gave it gas about 3000 and on rpms it jumped very close to or up to 100 psi. I am no ok with these numbers at all since I know this is going to kill my turbo seals and all the other misc parts. The motor has no balance shafts and I never ported the oil relief during the build (sadly it never crossed my mind or I would have. The motor probably has 5-6k on it max and im sure was driving with higher pressure before since little changed other then the turbo. Will porting the oil relief lower the pressures that much/enough? I know with out the balance shafts I will see higher pressures but im just concerned... I dont want to kill the motor and the brand new 20G on the car. I was all hyped to drive the car again since its been down quite a while due to lame vendors I had to deal with and my slow machine shop. Its probably not smart to drive it much tho so I wanted to get some opinions on the car.

Porting the oil pressure relief valve passage will make the oil pressure much more livable.

Just don't get carried away and you'll be fine :thumb:

How many people who remove balance shafts actually do this?
Because both of my shafts are removed and I havent ported the housing either.
Is there any pics of exactly where to port it?
And does the type of oil cooler set up being ran make a difference to pressure?

Also I hear higher oil pressures help prevent bearing wear and turbo wear from coked up turbo lines? ( Of course a reasonable amount of pressure ) But how high of pressure is unreasonable?

Also how hard is it to remove the oil filter housing, never done it before. Do i have to mess with any timing covers/ belts / pulleys to take it off and on? I have a 90s 6bolt with oil to air style oil cooler.

Sorry for all of the questions, but all of them being answered would help.!

I haven't ported the relief valve on my car, but with 20W-50 oil, on a cold startup, oil pressure is around 85 psi at idle. When it warms up, it drops down to 20 psi. This is with my oil pressure sender being where the stock oil pressure sender would normally be (Galants don't have factory oil pressure gauges). Although I haven't seen my oil pressure go above 100 psi on my engine with no balance shafts, YMMV.

As far as excessively high pressure, this can be a problem because the oil will force its way past the gaskets in the oil pump and oil filter housing, and in a worst case scenario, blow out those gaskets.

Porting isn't difficult as long as you have a good grinding bit on your dremel. More details can be found here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224606&highlight=porting+oil+relief
http://www.utdsm.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album12
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222778&highlight=relief

Thanks for the links. Im going to hook up my mechanical gauge soon as I have my engine running again.
And how much oil pressure you have also has to do with bearing clearance right. Therefore tighter clearance more pressure. I think my clearances are pretty tight on my rebuilt 6bolt.
What would be too high of a psi, so I can know if it goes past that point Ill port it. On the link I read something about 10psi per 1k. So technically does that mean at 7k I dont want more than 70psi oil pressure?
Therefore if my pressure went all the way to 100 at 7k it would be too much and blow gaskets?

That relief valve opens up at ~85 psi (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), so you should never see anything above that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back