The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Head swap 4G64 SOHC onto 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMcircletrack

Probationary Member
Oct 29, 2009
cda, Idaho
I know this is going to cause alot of questions. I will be as accurate as possible with my intent and explain why. I'm building three 1G Eclipse circle track cars. Track rules call for only SOHC engines! I have one 1.8 SOHC and two 2.0 DOHC engines and want to build an engine with as many CI's as possible. Will a 4G64 SOHC head fit a 1G 2.0 DOHC block? Just the reverse of a 2.0 DOHC to a 4G64???

Yes it will bolt on but no it will not work. There are 4 oil drains on the 64 head that if you put it on a 63 block it would drain out side of the block. Why not just swap in a whole 4g64?

I do know you can bolt the 4g64 block to the 4g63 head so I would thing you could do it the other way around all you may have to do is plug one or two water ports.

I thought about just that but I have two good 5-speeds. I think I would have to have the newer trans???

unclearr, are the oil drains on the front or back of the head? Do you think I could tap them and run a line back to the oil pan? My goal is to bore a 4G63 .40 or 2.4L, get a 4G63 stroker rotating assembely with 10.5-1 pistons. Am I out of my mind?

your not out of you mind you have a very unusual goal is all. You may be able to tap the drains and run them back down to the pan there are two in front and two in rear. Second tough I don't think you can tap them might be able to have the wholes welded up then taped other wise your going to have to have the block notched which I do not recommend.

You will have to have a custom head gasket made.

Here are pics of the head gaskets you can see the differences.

Top 4g63 bottom 4g64. I wish I could find a pic of the custom 64 block to 63 head head gasket.

If you use a 2g or a 7g galant (same engine) 4g64 block you will not have any side engine mounts. I think that you may need to find a 4gcs out of a Hyundai I think but am not sure that it has the side mounts on the block. But sill recommend the 16v 4g64 head I am not sure the 4gCS came as a 16 valve or an 8 valve. There may even be older 4g64s with side mounts on the block you will just have to check.

Attachments

• 93 4g63 NA head gasket.gif
    93 4g63 NA head gasket.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 4g64 headgasket.gif
    4g64 headgasket.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 371
I forgot to ask what engine is your car wired for? The reason I ask is that you may be able to wire in the distrubutor from a 7g galant into a 1.8 harnes. Not sure whould have to do some research on that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back