The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Head surface finish ....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
I already have my answer , just wanted some reinforcement for a customer. The area is several thousands deep. Imo this isn’t usable without welding. What yah think

Attachments

• 0A7A3F69-AD43-441A-9FA4-4B65F6251D16.jpeg
    0A7A3F69-AD43-441A-9FA4-4B65F6251D16.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 4B8FCE85-3CA6-4006-A3F3-4252E1A65CA3.jpeg
    4B8FCE85-3CA6-4006-A3F3-4252E1A65CA3.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 113
That’s def a no go without welding/resurfacing IMO. If it was solely in the combustion chamber I wouldn’t worry to much about it, but that’s never going to seal correctly as is.

That’s def a no go without welding/resurfacing IMO. If it was solely in the combustion chamber I wouldn’t worry to much about it, but that’s never going to seal correctly as is.
There is no way this head would seal..... even with a composite , that is on and near the sealing ring .

If you are talking about that big dent, the point is that big dent is on the squish area. It "can" run like that but welding/resurfacing would be a must if you care about the engine performance. It's not only about sealing. If speaking strictly, that cylinder would probably have a different flame speed/combustion efficiency from the other 3 cylinders and would possibly get higher EGT, if not repairing. To me, that's more important.

If you are talking about that big dent, the point is that big dent is on the squish area. It "can" run like that but welding/resurfacing would be a must if you care about the engine performance. It's not only about sealing. If speaking strictly, that cylinder would probably have a different flame speed/combustion efficiency from the other 3 cylinders and would possibly get higher EGT, if not repairing. To me, that's more important.

I don’t take shortcuts when I’m building an engine. I haven’t had one engine failure for any of my customers. My rule has always been ... my way or the highway , go find someone else if u don’t like it . I couldn’t sleep knowing this Head was being bolted down to a block. I don’t like composite gaskets , an mls would never seal on this head

I don’t take shortcuts when I’m building an engine. I haven’t had one engine failure for any of my customers. My rule has always been ... my way or the highway , go find someone else if u don’t like it . I couldn’t sleep knowing this Head was being bolted down to a block. I don’t like composite gaskets , an mls would never seal on this head
I am not so sure what exactly you meant. Would you care to elaborate this please? Basically I was agreeing with the original post that it should be repaired. I understood that you uploaded the pics of the head and asked people's opinion. Did I misunderstand your original post?

I am not so sure what exactly you meant. Would you care to elaborate this please? Basically I was agreeing with the original post that it should be repaired. I understood that you uploaded the pics of the head and asked people's opinion. Did I misunderstand your original post?
I was just implying that I agree that I could get it to work with a composite style gasket but I still wouldn’t use it as is. The reason I posted was because a customer brought me the head to use on a motor and I recommend he not . I wanted others to chime in to help get some of his money back.

I was just implying that I agree that I could get it to work with a composite style gasket but I still wouldn’t use it as is. The reason I posted was because a customer brought me the head to use on a motor and I recommend he not . I wanted others to chime in to help get some of his money back.
Understand. I was focusing more to the dent on the squish area.

That at the very least would create a hot spot in the cylinder and be a nice path for flames to eat through the head gasket in no time at all, it needs welded yep or toss it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back