The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Head studs and gasket needed for big boost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STARION

20+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2002
Nova, D.C.
Ok, I have a Galant VR4 RS engine (8.5:1 I was told) anyways, It currently is sporting a small 16G and I am wondering if the stock head gasket and studs will be ok for 17-19 PSI, or if I need to go to ARP studs and a metal HG. People don't seem to really adress this question, because there really is not a straight answer I suppose, but I would like to know your thoughts and I want to know if I ought to worry at all about blowing out a HG if I run those type of boost levels.

Yes, you should be fine on stock studs and HG. I would recommend getting ARP studs if you will be running more than like 25lbs of boost. But it can't hurt putting them on there as they are very nice. Also, from what I understand, metal HG's are also for high boost non daily driver race type car applications. I would rather my HG get blown then my piston's melting and its hard to blow a metal head gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back