The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

head stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90gsxwi

Probationary Member
Jul 30, 2013
west, Wisconsin
I been having low compression problems. So I decided to just pull head off to inspect and have valves checked. I disconected everything 100% for sure have h 11 headstuds. Took off nuts and head will not budge off block. I even hooked hoist up to head and lifted it just picked up the whole car ! I tried to unscrew using 3/16 allen socket and broke 3 allen sockets trying to remove the studs? Now what

This might sound dumb but if you are leaving the intake manifold on when removing the head there's a bracket bolted to the back of the intake that's connected to the block. If not you just got to find a way to break the seal. BTW there's only 10 head stud's/head bolts on a 4g63.

Yes the manifold is off... bracket is off... I took off all 10 nuts for studs. H11 is a kind of headstud

Take the studs out, not just the nuts. My L19 studs on my 2g head/6 bolt block must come straight up when removing, and any slight angle makes it very hard to just lift off with the studs in the block.

It was in there about a month... I picked my entire car off ground by head LOL how stuck can it be? Im not even sure what I need to do now...

I cannot get studs out only nuts I have 4 for 10 studs out and broke 3 allen sockets doing so. Ive also tapped banged pryd from every angle LOL

If I had to guess, you've got a 7 bolt style head, which has smaller holes. If they weren't drilled out, you'd have a very hard time getting the head on/off. I know someone who got their head halfway on and then couldn't remove it. I'd say your best bet if this is the case is to find a hardened allen wrench and try removing the studs first.

With aftermarket headstuds like arp that the studs stay down in the head attached to the block u need to cherry picker it out but you need to do it evenly or it will get stuck sideways a little on stud. So just keep going use some man power pull it up but remember it needs go straight up out of there or it will get stuck sideways on a stud.

No its a 6 bolt head. I did go straight up had 4 ppl try to lift. Nothing. Cherry picker from different points still nothing.

Yeah not really sure what to do... gonna buy a 3/16 allen socket impact instead of chrome pos craftsman. Then go from there LOL

take two nuts for the studs and run them into each other on the headstud then unscrew the bottom one. You should be able to get all your studs outh

take two nuts for the studs and run them into each other on the headstud then unscrew the bottom one. You should be able to get all your studs outh

Not likely to work with the head on the car. You would not have any room to get wrench on the bottom nut. The best bet would be so push the head back down on the engine (I assume that it is currently jammed on the studs) . Than I would get a better Allen socket and remove a few of the studs. Usually after a few are out it will slide over the remaining studs. From what I have found the holes in the head where the studs go thru are sometimes not quite true. The stud will slide thru it fine one by one, but all together will bind up on the threads.

Sounds like you may have crimped the soft aluminum casting onto the head studs when the nuts were torqued down.

The other choice is you wedged the oddball 1g 7bolt head on a 6 bolt block.

There is no easy way to get it off except to fight it.

Okay I'm confused is it lifting a little off the surface, or is it not lifting at all? The last exhaust stud always gets caught on the power steering/engine bracket. Make sure that one is removed.

If you are still struggling, impact the studs out. Then pull the head. Worked great on my 3000 when the head smashed into the threads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back