The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Head is unbolted but won't come off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraggybeard

Proven Member
Jun 8, 2013
Maple Grove, Minnesota
I've been working to replace the head gasket and got to the point where it was time to lift off the head. I'm able to rock it front to back about 1/4 inch until something catches but can not lift it straight up at all. I've read that many people forget the intake manifold bracket, but I took off the two bolts that connect to the underside of the intake. Do I need to remove the bracket completely? Any other thoughts on what it may be catching on or any bolts that are easily missed? It almost feels like there's a bolt I missed on the timing belt and thermostat sides but I can't find any. I left both the intake and exhaust manifolds on but thought I had everything else disconnected.

If you have studs it can be a PITA, but with factory head bolts it shouldnt be a big deal. Is anything holding the turbo? you also may need to gently pry on a safe point to separate the head and block. There was a thread a few days ago with the same problem.

If it's head studs, remove the studs before removing the head. If it's bolts then it is probably stuck from the head gasket, use a rubber mallet and pound around it till it loosen up.

By the way, make sure nothing is still bolted to prevent the head from lifting up.

Thanks for the quick replies, they were factory head bolts. I was wondering if I was just being a Sally and not pulling hard enough but I was able to wiggle the head a bit, so it seemed like it wasn't stuck to the block but there was something else. Would not undoing the bracket bolt on the block have somethig to do with it? The turbo bolts are undone so I should be clear there...

IIRC there can be issues with an exhaust stud catching on the PS pump bracket.

Please come back and post what was holding you up just to satisfy my curiosity. My DSM exhaust is white so I have a compression test and a probable head gasket replacement in my future. Which be my first head gasket as well.

Best of luck!

This may help... if you have ARP head studs and didn't take off all the washers that are in the head that can also cause the problem you are having. i have had this happen to me and it was the worst . i though it would be easier not to take the washers of and just pull straight up.

good luck and please let us know the resolution...

This may help... if you have ARP head studs and didn't take off all the washers that are in the head that can also cause the problem you are having. i have had this happen to me and it was the worst . i though it would be easier not to take the washers of and just pull straight up.

good luck and please let us know the resolution...

Please see post 4 that the poster does not have head studs.

IIRC there can be issues with an exhaust stud catching on the PS pump bracket.

Which exhaust header stud/studs are these? Are they near the front (timing side) or back (transmission side)?

Which exhaust header stud/studs are these? Are they near the front (timing side) or back (transmission side)?

PS pump is over on the timing belt side.... I have not seen a trans mounted PS pump before....

The stud would be the lower outer stud closest to the timing belt side and PS pump bracket.

Front, I guess they mean the bigger bottom stud for the exhaust mani. Ive noticed it being close,but have never had an issue from that. Totally see where it is possible though.

Thanks for all the help. I had assumed that everything was loose since I was able to wiggle it a bit, but it turns out that it was still sticking in the middle. A little leverage was all it took to pop it off. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back