The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Head gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofast63

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2011
Manchester, Michigan
So I just installed my mls head gasket with my arp head bolts. One of the bolts was just a 8.8 grade hex bolt which broke when torquing the bolts down. I torqued all of the bolts down to 90 got half of the bolts to 110 until the hex bolt snapped. So I just ordered oem head bolts from auto zone and I was planning on torquing them to 90ft lbs so It would better my chances of it sealing. Or can I just do 72 ftlbs because it's a mls gasket? The reason I was missing the arp bolt is because it was bent for some reason when I removed the head a year ago.

Just for some background:

You're switching from composite to multi-layer ?
You had the head, block, or both milled ?

Thanks

The engine block is straight and I had the head milled to 5.179 with a .070" mls gasket to shim it back to stock height. The previous machine shop screwed up my head so I had to have it leveled off from the lowest point on the head.

Ok those bases are covered, is your application stock boost levels or much higher boost levels ?

Gotcha. FSM shows 80ft-lbs as the head bolt torque value for the 4g6 DOHC. I would not mix and match arp studs with head bolts, so I'll assume you buying head bolts means you bought all 10 head bolts. I'd put a touch of oil on the threads and torque them all down 40-60-80 in the pattern shown in the manual.

So with me having already torqued half of the bolts to 110. I can just put my stock replacement head bolts on and torque them to 80ftlbs? Would there still be a good chance of the gasket leaking?[DOUBLEPOST=1414599249][/DOUBLEPOST]Meaning replace all with stock head bolts

Last edited:
Why would you torque them to 110? Jesus dude. Order a new composite style gasket and new oem style head bolts. Or new ARP studs if you plan on turning it up ever. Torque the bolts to whatever the paperwork for the bolts/studs tell you to. These cars are not hard to keep running, but they are doomed to fail when you do things like this to them.[DOUBLEPOST=1414600134][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way what ever bolts you have are now junk by torqing them to 110.

Loosen, step by step, whatever you have in there and throw them out. Use a new set of 10 bolts.

99gst_racer said to torque them to 120 if you use 30w oil on one of the threads on the form. That was what I was going off of. I don't plan on reusing the arp head bolts. I'm going to be installing a new oem set from autozone. I'll torque them to 80ft lbs and hopefully nothing leaks.LOL It's a new mls gasket, so hopefully even though it was just compressed it will seal when torqued with oem bolts:rocks:

Composite head gasket or new mls. You already compressed that mls. Why take a chance on it leaking and then having to do everything over again. Do it right. And you'll be good.

once a headgasket has been compressed it cannot be reused

Just get the felpro permatorque composite its like $35 and people have boosted pretty high on it.

Follow the torque sequence and instructions.

I wouldn't call anything from autozone "OEM"

So all in all. Decided to give it a try and I had nothing better to do. Of course it leaked through the spark plug holes. I didn't even have any compression in cylinder one but had 150 on the rest. Before I took the head off last month to freshen up the head it was 163 across. So got some leakage there.LOL by any chance does felpro make .070 composite head gasket? Cosmetic only goes to .059

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back