The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

head gasket repair Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awzer2

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 4, 2009
palm desert, California
Well i have an oil leak between the head and the block.
im sure its because the engine overheated till steam shot out of the coolant bottle and possibly caused the gaskets to ruin.
It doesnt smoke or anything and the exhaust smells like normal .

what is the possible damage that has been done?
its got 86,000 miles only after market thing is the bov and fmic.

when i run the engine it sounds great but the gasket or seal is still leaking a considerable ammount...it left a puddle the size of a small pancake after running it around the block for 4 minutes...i took off the entire IC system such as the fmic,pipes and BOV and it ran great and didnt overheat..any ideas anyone?

but none the less,i def could have a gasket job on my hands. can anyone point me in the correct direction and show me how to change my head gasket in complete steps? lvl 1-10 my mechanics are about a 6 thanks guys.

This belongs in the newbie forum, check the vfaq or search here and you'll find answers. Buy a manual as well, the $15 will save you time and money.

This belongs in the newbie forum, check the vfaq or search here and you'll find answers. Buy a manual as well, the $15 will save you time and money.

looked in the tech articles,vfaq, dsm talk...
Got the haynes manual...
i need some directions and the know how from people who have done this before,i dont understand the timing procedure..i just wanna know how long it should take,if theres any way to avoid replacing the timing bel tif i pull the head...the only gasket i have repaired was on a sierra 1500 block..i was hoping to get this done this weekend. i go out to my base in 13 days and want my girl to have a car to drive... please help?

You have This
and your asking how to do it?

Admittedly this Book would be better.

Either way you couldn't have searched that hard Look here

But, Relly this is the wrong form all together and should be in the Newb form like said before. Also, This is the tuning & engine management forum Read these Forum's Strict Guidelines

you may also need to check the head to see if its wrapped. but all in all head gaskets arent hard

It's not hard dude. You will need to disconnect the wiring harness from the sensors around the head, remove timing belt and components in order then remove head bolts and then head. The most important part is being orderly, put stuff in ziplock bags, label them especially since you are a novice and put everything together. I recommend using the actual Mitsu factory service manual for your car. Someone most likely has it on here in PDF format. DL that and follow it to a T. Use the VFAQ especially for tricks when removing and installing the timing belt. Don't rush it, take your time. We all started from somewhere. ;)

..but before you do that, do a compression and/or leakdown test.

Someone most likely has it on here in PDF format. DL that and follow it to a T.

I was gonna link to one but none of the links I could find still work... .

Either way OP if you google "2gdsmtek.pdf" you should be able to find it from a torrent somewhere, I'm sure it would probably be easier to use that the other link.

Hold on for a second, lets not just assume that this is a head gasket issue.

The first thing that you should do is run to one of the big box auto parts stores like Advance or Autozone and borrow/rent a compression tester (most places will "sell" you a tool through their loan program and take it back within 90 days). Test the compression and see what you get. If all the numbers are close to equal then your compression is fine but the numbers should probably be between 130 and 160.

The next step is to verify if you are losing/burning coolant. When the car is cold open the coolant fill cap and after starting the car check for bubbles or oil in the coolant that could signify cylinder gases being pushed into the water jackets.

If neither of these happens you can probably assume that the head gasket itself is probably fine but a leak down test could tell you with absolute certainty.

At this point you'll need to find where the oil leak is actually coming from (if I had the chance to bet I would bet that you can't have that much oil leak from a head gasket and a car that sounds fine). Things to check from there are the oil feed for the turbo, the oil feed provision on the head (plugged but still removable on 2gs), and the valve cover gasket. Much less common would be a very bad exhaust manifold gasket leak WITH incredibly bad valve seals. I'm not even sure if the last eventuality could possibly produce that much oil but then again a bad head gasket isn't likely to either IMO.

For the record it has been suggested that this be sent to the newbie section. I would disagree but would say that this is in the wrong section. Perhaps General Maintenance or Cylinder Head Tech would be better.

the pressure oil port that transfers from the block to the head is on the exahust side of the head almost under #4 exhast runner (back by the tranny)

pressurized oil leaves the block and passes thu the HG then is routed pass the last head bolt and into an oil galley port then dispersed thu the hed to the HLAs and cams.

there are 2 oil gally plugs towards the top of the head in this corner.. check to make sure these are not loose... (stock oil feed turbos are fed oil from here also on 1G) You being a 2g should have the turbo oil feed from the OFH

the only reason I can think of why you would not be loosing compression and water, but just loosing oil would be the head was off a time before and resurfaced improperly.

look at the pic in this thread and you will see the oil transfer slot
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html

damn you guys are awesome! ill get back with yall, i got a few buddies here checking out the car..
be back to reply soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back