The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

head gasket felpro MLS or cometic ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawid4444

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
hey guys :D

i have two questions.

whitch head gasket is better ??

felpro MLS or cometic head gasket ???

and i have cometic head gasket right now in the car and im going to pull up the head on monday to do the valve job, and im just wondering if i can reuse my cometic head gasket ?? it has like 3k milles on it .

im looking for short and good answears
thank you so much guyss

No, just like head studs..they are not recommended for double usage.
I have read good reviews about Cometic but not so much for Felpro.
Why not an OEM MLS?

Cometics are indeed intended for repeated usage as are head studs.. I dunno WTF the guy above me is talking about...

The best HG you can get generally will be a Felpro Permatorque. Its what many big boys uses with simple ARPs holding lots of power...

Cometics are indeed intended for repeated usage as are head studs.. I dunno WTF the guy above me is talking about...

The best HG you can get generally will be a Felpro Permatorque. Its what many big boys uses with simple ARPs holding lots of power...

Good luck risking a used headgasket and head studs. :thumb:

The ARP headstuds arent torque to yield, they can be reused and shouldnt have any problem. It never says in any advertisment that they are one use so im not sure what the hell he is talking about

Stock head BOLTS are TTY, which should not be reused (but some do).
ARP head STUDS/NUTS are NOT TTY, which can be re-used (just check for stretching/thread condition).

MLS headgaskets crush when torqued, if you put your head on and goofed something, you MIGHT get away with popping the head off for something (before a heat cycle). I've seen this go both ways, some success here, some failure here.

Organic headgaskets, such as the one that comes on your car or the felpro replacement one you can get at autozone/advanced etc should only be used ONCE. Same situation as the MLS. Do not re-use if you've put miles on it...when you separate the head from the block, especially if you copper sprayed it - material will be stuck to the head that you depended on a good seal for.

@OP

I would not re-use that head gasket. I was in your situation but my Cometic had less miles. I re-used it and my god, it leaked like no other. Also - I assume your block is decked as well as your head? If you didn't have it decked you may as well go with a Felpro Organic (OE - PN: 9627PT) they can be had for around 30$ and it will save you the hastle later. A lot of people have made good power on that HG and it lasts for a very long time.

@OP

I would not re-use that head gasket. I was in your situation but my Cometic had less miles. I re-used it and my god, it leaked like no other. Also - I assume your block is decked as well as your head? If you didn't have it decked you may as well go with a Felpro Organic (OE - PN: 9627PT) they can be had for around 30$ and it will save you the hassle later. A lot of people have made good power on that HG and it lasts for a very long time.

So what do you think ??

Should i put my cometic back again ? or buy a new one ?

btw i have ARP head STUDS.

thnkss :)

Remember - that is just my opinion. You can try it - it may work - it may not - it's up to you. Just accept the fact that you may have to tear it all back apart and replace it anyway.

(btw, @OP means "talking at the original poster (you))

For peace of mind just get a new one. :thumb:

So what do you think ??

The general consensus is to replace any gasket when it's removed. Sure the less important ones that are easy access would be worth a shot at reusing them with a thin layer of RTV. However, a headgasket should be replaced any time the head is removed. That goes regardless of what kind of gasket it is or how expensive it was.

The Fel-Pro Perma-torque is the apparent best MLS gasket you can get. However, the OEM MLS gasket is still better than the Cometic gasket.

Honestly, most people don't even need to use a MLS gasket as the composite gasket has held safely 30+psi but the setup of it will make a difference.

Paul Volk runs an OEM composite gasket on his compound setup pushing 40psi. However, he also has his motor o-ringed.

So take it for what it's worth, but replace the gasket regardless.

So what do you think ??

Take a good look at the gasket. If there is no damage and the coating still looks great, just reuse it.

If the coating is damaged or there are any signs of knock, toss it.

I like composite gaskets over an MLS if you aren't shooting for a lot of power(over 400ish), because of the fact that if you encounter a good bit of detonation for whatever reason, they will usually pop before your motor does.

Beating a dead horse here but, replace it with the felpro Permatorque. They're cheap and durable as hell. In my mind there is no other choice but to replace it whenever the head is removed (Just my .02).

You CAN reuse headstuds. You CAN reuse an MLS HG. :) Now with that out of the way, your prep and installation technique matters much more than the fact you are reusing any of those items. ;) My Talon had a Cometic and it worked great. 38-40psi boost for two years and I drove it almost daily. It was my only car at the time!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back