The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Head gasket dilemma.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddragon1

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 27, 2012
Kansas city, Missouri
Okay I'm not new to this by any means but I'm a little confused right now. I'm in the middle of a head swap in my car the longest by far LOL. But I have a mls head gasket but I really don't feel like pulling the block out of the car for a decking at this point my question is how many have just cleaned the deck area and measured for straightness and used the mls like that? Or should I just throw a stock style back on and hope it does not split?

How much power do you plan to make? Composite gaskets with the stock 6-bolt head bolts will hold over 450hp. Some have gotten away with prepping the block with fine grit sandpaper, checking for flatness, and getting the head resurfaced with a very fine surface finish. A member named Bogus has a good thread on how to prep for a MLS gasket. But I would still recommend composite or even composite + O-ringing the head/deck before MLS. I have never had good luck with them.

with the MLS it has to be perfect or it will not work

I know. But it's hard for me to justify pulling an entire short block out just for a decking you know then have to buy everything again. If I do that I might as well just rebuild. Then the car won't be a stock short block car you know what I mean?

Thank you both the car will be around 600 whp when the nitrous comes on so the composite will not work for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back