The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G he351cw should i try to run it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexGsxCummins

Proven Member
May 31, 2014
Bremerton, Washington
So I put a huge turbo on my buddys 06' Cummins for him and he said he didn't want his old one so I ended up with a he351cw in my hands.. Ive read every thread I can find (the few I could) would it be worth trying to run it? I see a few people have but was hoping to hear if it would be better to just try to sell it and grab something else. I am fine with running a T3 or T4 setup.

It would be a t3. if you are ok with slow spooling, it should be fine. But takes a 4inch down pipe, the whole flapper needs to be welded up and you are still stuck with a compressor outlet facing the passenger side.

I ran one, and it wasn't everything I hoped for... I would personally sell it, and buy a hx35 or hx35/40 with a twinscroll t3.

The compressor wheel is a drop in for an hx40 7 blade.
The turbine is a 60mm. And as 9cm open T3 housing. Mine ran on a chinabay t3 manifold. It sucked.

If you do run it, use a quality thriller manifold or cast...

The compressor wheel is a drop in for an hx40 7 blade.
The turbine is a 60mm. And as 9cm open T3 housing. Mine ran on a chinabay t3 manifold. It sucked.

If you do run it, use a quality thriller manifold or cast...

I'll be using a treadstone t3 cast manifold with a tial 38 mvr gate.

If you don't mind my asking, what sucked about it, slow spool, low power? I figure it should be similar to a 35/40 hybrid, but with a smaller 9cm housing I figured it'd do really good.

I may have mostly had issues with the manifold combo... It was slower than I expected to spool. Like 5300 in 3rd gear.
Couldn't ever get over 25 psi as well.

I am going to be running another holset soon. But the hassle of fitting the 351 was not worth the headache.

I went 9's on mine. Pretty killer turbo. Comparable to a 35R or 6262 in a .63 or so housing, but it will take so much more abuse. If your not looking to make 600whp then there are much better choices. It would be a very poor choice to put this on a stockish car and only want to make 300whp.

As always the turbo is the cheapest part of the whole setup. If you don't have a full tilt setup or $5K+ to play with your likely to have lackluster results.

Yes it's not exactly the quickest spooling turbo ever, but neither is any other 600whp turbo.

My car is 3300lbs and went 9.80 at 144 on a used up engine. See how many other cars in the single digits on a 60mm turbo that's not a gutted tin can shitbox owned buy a big shop. Not many. The HE351CW is a bad bi***.

I thought you had ran one @bastarddsm and you had good things to say about it. I was going to shoot for around 4-450 to start, then see where I'm at on my g4cs build. I imagine a 2.4 would make this all the more fun.
I'm around 3100 right now, but I have alot of little things to fix/change. Hoping to have the car pretty much drag dedicated next summer, then use my other 92 for the nice daily style.

In stock form you're going to be pretty disappointed unless you're running E85. The HE351CW is a HX40 compressor on a HY35 turbine...so a turbine that's smaller than a HX35. Unless you get the housing punched out and run a larger turbine, at which point you should just be running a full HX40 instead because that's what you will have created, you're going to be fighting turbine backpressure issues and high EGT's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back