The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

having trouble with new gm maf tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarmichael

10+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2011
Greenwood, Indiana
ok so I tried to go the speed density route and I couldn't get my car tuned correctly on that, so then I got a free gm maf from a friend, got the couplers and cable and hooked it all up. also hooked my map and iat sensor into it. my problem is I used these 2 pages, the wbo2 didn't when I made the ltft changes or tried to change the percentage off the afrest and wbo2 reading. I got no adjustments. when I am on my stock 1g maf the car is right around perfect 14.7 driving wise.

any input would be great here is my idle log, I know I have to be missing something.

v3mafadjcombft [ECMTuning - wiki]

maftcalibrationbywbo2 [ECMTuning - wiki]

also when I did a cruise and tried to do mafcomp adj. it didn't adjust any, even though the airflow per rev is way to high.

thanks for the help
Josh

Attachments

• log.2012.05.28-04.elg
    167.8 KB · Views: 40
changing your mafcomp and/or deadtimes isnt leaning out your idle?

it didn't appear to, when I got the injectors back from ecmtuning, the numbers he gave me, made it to where my global should be zero always. however my wideband was reading 11.5 and I adjusted my global to 50 and it went to 12.2. when I move the 0hz and 50hz slider positive ro negative 20 I saw no adjustments anywhere as well.

however I don't recall seeing my map sensor make any changes. I know with the gm maf It had no affect but it should still be logging since it is hooked up I would think .

In a lot of that log, your car is in open loop, so you won't be able to tune idle/cruise. Use this page to figure out why it's in open loop.
fueltrimupdatepoints [ECMTuning - wiki]

You shouldn't touch the numbers given from ECMTuning on your injectors. You should just have to adjust airflow. With the GM MAF, you'll see a lot of drastic changes, but you'll have to do your best to smooth it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading over all of that, my iat wasn't to high, my coolant temp was above 180 I changed my offeset t0 14 to be safe on that. the maf hz where above where they needed to be, the only thing I can think would be the o2 sensor not cycling. it was giving me a read back though any ideas?

When you say static speeed just cruising at a low speed for that short amount of time. Also when you say the thresholds 8 am guessing you mean on the maf comp adjust link so set the global on the gm maf to 9.1?

Then also take it out and drive trying to go up as many inclines as possible of varying grades. This is after you've adjusted the thresholds. Basically you want to put as much load on the engine in closed loop without kicking it into open loop. So when you're driving make sure to vary the gears and rpms. Drive the car up the hill in 5th gear at a very low RPM, and then change to another gear for a different RPM range, which will vary the amount of load.

amazingly enough I get back from riding with my brother start it up and it idles in closed loop no problem, not sure why it wasn't going into it this morning. so I let it idle then I took it for a drive for about 5 mins or so. I haven't made any adjustments to it yet. so any ideas would still be great.

thanks again
Josh

Attachments

• idle and cruise may 28th 2012 gm maf.elg
    331.9 KB · Views: 60
I did a good hour of cruising. when I was done, I did mafcomp adj. it adjusted everything between 300hz and 1300 hz. after making the changes for the most part cruising everything feels good. The only time it goes lean is inbetween shifts. for instance 1st to second it goes lean then 2nd to third. so between shifts it has a sort of lag. so what I am going to do is log for about 5 mins between the shifts and see what hz it is at and try to make an adjustment by looking at the stft and wbo2 and afrest readings.

If I get nowhere with that I will upload a log, not going to upload the one from tonight as it is an hour long and not sure where the best part would be to shorten it up to get opinions on it.

thanks again for all the help
Josh

ok makes sense, because that is about where it goes to. It wasn't laggy between shifts on the stock maf though. however I drove the car to work today as I do everyday, and for the most part it feels good. I just need to switch over to wot tuning now and so change out my clutch.

I just need to switch over to wot tuning now and so change out my clutch.

IMHO you VERY far off from making any WOT adjustment in-fact I wouldn't even do a pull yet your pretty lean on tip in and the Idle still needs a bit of work... Also you need to be do doing steady driving not shifting ever 5 second as said... .

Edit: I relize that you have made adjustments but with out anything to go of off what I said above stands... also as far as going lean you shouldn't be lean at all or at least more then a fraction of a second once your back on the gas. IMO People need to stop relying so much on the MAF comp adjust to do there Closed loop tuning for them a bit of common sense goes a long way.(nothing against you op)

IMO People need to stop relying so much on the MAF comp adjust to do there Closed loop tuning for them a bit of common sense goes a long way.(nothing against you op)

Agreed. This should be used as a starting point and supplement to actually learning what changes do to these sliders and making adjustments yourself. Especially on a GM MAF, as these sensors are not the most accurate on our cars.

IMHO you VERY far off from making any WOT adjustment in-fact I wouldn't even do a pull yet your pretty lean on tip in and the Idle still needs a bit of work... Also you need to be do doing steady driving not shifting ever 5 second as said... .

Edit: I relize that you have made adjustments but with out anything to go of off what I said above stands... also as far as going lean you shouldn't be lean at all or at least more then a fraction of a second once your back on the gas. IMO People need to stop relying so much on the MAF comp adjust to do there Closed loop tuning for them a bit of common sense goes a long way.(nothing against you op)

no offense taken, I know these questions get asked all the time. I hate that I have to be one of these guys asking most of the time. but yea I did a long cruise last night at stable gas pressure up and down hills in different gears to get different loads put on the motor. when I did the maf adjust it gave me wierd numbers and I tried to smooth it out from there. so there wouldn't be any crazy jumps on it. I will try to get a log tonight or tomorrow.

I finally remembered to take my laptop with me to work, here is a interstate log and a lower speed cruise log, tried to make them short so theres not so much to sort through. 05 is a street log and 04 is the interstate log.

Attachments

• log.2012.05.31-05.elg
    162.4 KB · Views: 37
  • log.2012.05.31-04.elg
    107.1 KB · Views: 39
I looked at the first log and at mafraw of around 1khz your way off. I would bring that down quite a bit and work from there. Your afrest and actual are differing greatly as well as combinedft is -24%. If im wrong, ill never post in this section again LOL but i think it looks pretty obvious from that last log that maf adjustment is needed greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the first log and at mafraw of around 1khz your way off. I would bring that down quite a bit and work from there. Your afrest and actual are differing greatly as well as combinedft is -24%. If im wrong, ill never post in this section again LOL but i think it looks pretty obvious from that last log that maf adjustment is needed greatly.

I think you are right, only problem I have is the numbers I got from ecm tuning for my injectors, are for them so I don't know how to get the combined fuel trim down, without changing my global. unless someone can make a suggestion in my inj battery section(if I am thinking right I could adjust those up and do the same thing as changing the global). If I am wrong I am stuck adjusting the global which will affect all other areas of driving.

If you move your mafomp 1khz slider down wouldnt that affect combinedft as well? I run a 2gmaf and dont use injbatteryadj(wish i could, no info on pte 1000s yet) and i noticed moving my maf affects my combinedft. could be different on a gm maf, so i dont want to give bad advice. One of the experienced guys will eventually weigh in, lets hope.

If you move your mafomp 1khz slider down wouldnt that affect combinedft as well? I run a 2gmaf and dont use injbatteryadj(wish i could, no info on pte 1000s yet) and i noticed moving my maf affects my combinedft. could be different on a gm maf, so i dont want to give bad advice. One of the experienced guys will eventually weigh in, lets hope.

I think you may be right because it lowers the amount of air the ecu think it is getting so using less fuel in the end. I would think, I am jsut having a hard time wrapping my head around everything. Ive read the ecm wiki stuff and watched videos but I still have a hard time understanding cause and effect.

JC: Since you have had your inj tested you have to trust your injbatadj DA data. SOoooooo, that only leaves mafcomp to adjust for right? bring that shit way down in the 1khz range first take a nice level cruise and try to get mafraw close to 1khz and observe. I think youll like the results. I say this cause i personally did it the other night. After fretting like an idiot about airflow/rev and nearly doubling my deadtimes i said screw it. Put deadtimes to stock values and cal'd with maf sliders to get my wb and afrest to line up.It also got my combinedft looking so much better and was way easier. I know i may have to tweak deadtimes a bit, but never double them. MUCH better results, let me tell ya. Now soon as i get that new radiator in i can complete my task and start messing with shit in high load open loop. Thats where a dyno would be nice, im not personally liking the idea of doing repeated 3rd gear pulls on a local stretch of road. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back