The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Having Trouble Identifying What Generation this Head Is

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT_4G63

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2021
Saugerties, New_York
Hey Guys,

As the title states, I am having trouble identifying what generation this head is. It goes against everything (I thought) I knew about identifying DSM heads. I bought it out of a guy's shed with a whole slew of other random DSM parts from all generations with no real background info on any of it.

Initially upon looking at it real quick I assumed it was a 1G head. However when I went to put it on top of one of my 6-Bolt blocks in order to take the cams out, it wouldn't accept the 12mm ARP head studs that were in the 6-Bolt Block.

This is what I've determined about it:

-It accepted a set of factory 7-Bolt head studs on top of a 7-Bolt block.
-It has the "surprised face" on the timing side along with provisions for a 1G thermostat housing that I know to be indicative of a 1G head.
-The intake manifold ports measure 60mm wide.
-The outer lower exhaust manifold studs are larger than the rest. This is usually found on 2G heads, while 1G heads have all the same size exhaust manifold studs, as far as I know.
-It has "G6" on the Thermostat housing side of the head, I usually see this on 2G heads, and "2.0L" on 1G heads

The only thing I can come up with is that it is a 1G 7-Bolt head from a 1992.5-1994 1G. So it bolts to a 7-Bolt Block, but has 1G provisions to coincide with that chassis. I guess this would allow me to run a 1G intake manifold on a 7-Bolt if that is the case. .

Does anyone have an opinion or can confirm this?

Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Solution
It's a 1G 7 bolt head.
-The outer lower exhaust manifold studs are larger than the rest. This is usually found on 2G heads, while 1G heads have all the same size exhaust manifold studs, as far as I know.
Misinformation. 1g 7 bolt head has Two M10 at lower corners and Seven M8 studs for exhaust manifold, it's the same as 2g head. (6 bolt head has Nine M8 exhaust studs)
It's a 1G 7 bolt head.
Misinformation. 1g 7 bolt head has Two M10 at lower corners and Seven M8 studs for exhaust manifold, it's the same as 2g head. (6 bolt head has Nine M8 exhaust studs)

Solution

Incorrect. 1g 7bolt have larger outer exhaust studs.

-It has "G6" on the Thermostat housing side of the head, I usually see this on 2G heads, and "2.0L" on 1G heads

The only thing I can come up with is that it is a 1G 7-Bolt head from a 1992.5-1994 1G. So it bolts to a 7-Bolt Block, but has 1G provisions to coincide with that chassis. I guess this would allow me to run a 1G intake manifold on a 7-Bolt if that is the case. .

You can run this on a 6bolt. Enlarge the head bolt holes.

It's a 1G 7 bolt head.

Ok, that's what I came up with too (1G 7 bolt), thanks for confirming. I've never had one of these, so that's cool.

Thanks for clarifying about the exhaust studs, that's kind of what I was starting to figure as I looked the head over more. I always sort of figured 1G 7 bolt heads had to be a hybrid of the heads from 1990-1992.5 and the heads from 1995-1999 (Not figuring in the different Cam Angle Sensors), in order for them to work while DSM's were transitioning to 7 bolt while still being in a 1G Chassis.

There is also a casted number and letter in the cylinder head. You can also identify by that number and letter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back