The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Having some starting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiGoesPsSsSst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2003
Swansea, Massachusetts
Finally finished the car, got it running but having some occasional starting issues.
It is getting fuel and spark. With some spraying of starter fluid I can finally get the car running and it will run a little rough for a brief couple of seconds but then it's perfectly fine. When I shut the car off I can start it back up seconds later fine. It seems like the longer I let the car sit without running though, the more difficulty I have starting it back up. If the car is sitting more than an hour it's a pain in the balls to get it started back up, as soon as it is running however it runs fine like I said. My initial thought is perhaps old gas. I bought this car as a shell 4 months ago and finally just got it running. The car already had a full tank of gas when I got it and I would have to think this gas is well over a year old.

Also the only CEL I am getting is for a bad coolant temp sensor. Would that cause the problem I discribed above or is it more likely due to the old gas in the tank?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

David, definitely replace that coolant sensor. That sensor is vital in telling the ECU when there are cold starts.

I should have searched on this one first. After searching I am convinced that it's the coolant temp sensor or wires the go to it.. especially with the CEL code. I just wasn't sure at first if the coolant temp sensor affects the startup of the car but apparently it does.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back