The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Haven a hard time choosen a turbo for me..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
Ok....Here are the engines mods:

Dual spring retainer kit
Eagle forged rods
Wiseco 9:1 pistons
BSEK
ARP main studs (maybe..heard stock was ok for the HP level)
ARP head studs
Cometic HG
.1mm Nitrated valves
AEM EMS
950CC injectors
Evo 3 Manifold
HKS 272/272 Cams
HKS Cam Gears
Walboro 255lph
GM MAF 3" & MAFT

Now....I'm debating here. Not just on the money factor, but also on the dyno in town with remarkable tuners (civic running 6's in the 1/8...etc..etc)

There are two other DSMers heres running the AGP t3/t4 Kit. It's only $1600 for the nicer kit, etc etc. That was one choice. The other was the FP3065.

Now, the prices are very similar. In fact, I'd end up paying more for the t3/t4 after the o2 housing and such. Most people say the 3065 is for the big bnoys who know how to tune, but with the local dyno and an AEM EMS, I think I can pull off the tuning.

I'm looking for 500whp at the track....and then come home and load another map in the EMS and lower my boost for the daily driving. Daily driving as in in and out of town a bit and running back and forth from work (hooters), and the local school.

So basically...should I fork out a bit and get the FP3065 BB and have it dyno tuned with a decent level of boost, or should I do like everybody else and slap on a t3/t4 and tune with it?

Go with a 3052.

Yes, but if I have the dyno to get the potential from the 3065, and eventually have it nitrous spooled (it's BB, so it should spool fast enough already), why shouldnt I spend the extra $100 for the 3065? Not the fact that it's only $100 more, but if I got the 3052..then later got the 3065....i'd be putting out more in the end.

Again, just trying to get the right setup, the right time, with the right amount of money spent, and not needlessly spending.

Sounds like you built an engine made for some decent power. Don't waste your time with a 3052 if you're serious about power. That's my serious .02

But I'd like to remain a daily driver.....so, turning the boost down to say 20psi or so shouldn't be a problem, I'd still like it to perform on a daily basis (come on, who doesn't take the ricers down?) but I'd also like to spool somewhat fast...my B16G spools in the early 3200's, but what about the t3/t4 and the 3065?

Go FP3065!!! If your goal is 500whp and runs 10s 3065 will get you there. Turbo choices aren't always easy. It took me awhile and I can only narrowed it down to two :p If you're interest in what they are, feel free to email me but I won't disclose them on here :shhh: :thumb:

If you do go with a 3065 Id go with a manifold mounted gate with a Tial 38 or 40mm. Well really any turbo making 500+rwhp I would not screw around with a "on turbo" gate.

With turbo choice it all depends on what you want. An FP3052 or a full garret kit with a 50trim .63ar should get you to your 500AWHP mark and will spool alittle quicker. The 3065 will definately get you there but its gonna be a bit laggy on the street. Id guess with your higher CR you will get full boost anywhere between 3800-4200. If your gonna be mostly at the track,and then on the street just driving around except for the occasional highway pull Id go with the 3065. If your looking for light to light type quickness on the street id go with something a bit smaller like the 3052.

They are both gonna make a ton of power, and your car will be hella quick with either one. Its not quite as simple as some people make it though "Just find the biggest turbo, bolt it on and be fast".

i think he was talking about external wg on the manifold compared to the internal wg on the turbo. there is also another option that mounts the external wg on the o2 housing, this controls boost right off of the turbine housing. some will say this is better and some will say the other one is better but, there pretty much the same they both control boost. if i had to choose i would say o2 housing because it runs right into the turbine housing, when on the manifold u get a extra runner to control it.

The AGP T3/T4 kit with a 60-1 compressor whel is a GREAT turbo, and it is also a great price. It would definately be cheaper than the FP.

It's simple a matter of how much you want to spend.

im running the agp t3/60-1 kit...its on a 2.3 so its hard to tell you how it would spool on a 2.0...i did run it for a small amount of time on the stock motor, only problem was once it hit boost the clutch would slip so i cant tell you much other then the lag wasnt really a big deal at all...im coming from driving a supra with a t78 so maybe thats why it didnt bother me.

nice thing about the full garrett agp kit is, once you get and if you decided its to big, or to small of a turbo..its easy to sell since its not a dsm specific turbo, and easier to find other setups for the same reason.

i dont know what you already have but factor in the price for a external wastegate, dump tube, 2g or evo ported mani, and an o2 housing into the price and it will end up being alot more then the agp kit which comes with everything you need...plus you can sell whatever manifold and crap you are using now to cover some of the cost

cant go wrong with the agp kit i dont think.

True...but, if I wnated to go with the t3/t4 and a garret manifold..etc etc. etc. and then later switch turbos to a bigger one, I won't get my full money back on my used turbo, plus I have to shell out a lot more in the log run to get something bigger

Colossus said:
True...but, if I wnated to go with the t3/t4 and a garret manifold..etc etc. etc. and then later switch turbos to a bigger one, I won't get my full money back on my used turbo, plus I have to shell out a lot more in the log run to get something bigger

you wouldnt get full money back on a mitsu only turbo either..plus it would prolly be harder to sell since the market is more narrow...if you worried about getting something to small in the full garrett platform just go with something big to begin with, thats aout the same size as the fp 3065..but i really think the t3/60-1 agp kit would work good for you...its pretty close to the potential of the 3065

I say the 3065 may be too big. If you are looking for 500whp there are many turbo's more suitable. From personal experience the 3065 would be too big for a daily driver. My car has a shitty tune so I don't know if that is to blame but accelerating below 4k rpm is like driving a civic. I vote something smaller for a daily driver.

go gt35r, ams is putting down over 600 hp on there evo with one, and in second gear they brake there tires loss at any time they want, this turbo is just alsome from what i have seen, its the turbo im going with after i test out my gt3255. its dual bb and the spool is between 3800 to 4200 if im not mistaking.

It depends on the cost again and how much your willing to spend. I went with a whole new manifold turbo gate setup for simplilcity. My car now has a standard T3 exhaust housing on it which means I can buy a turbo from anybody anywhere and they will have it in stock. Not all turbo's are available with a Mitsu style (though there are many great ones to choose from) and you sometimes need to wait for them when your ordering etc. For me personally I just found it easier to go with a style that is most commonly used.

The wastegate mounted on the turbo vs. the manifold I don't think is much of an issue, people have gone very fast with both setups. Some claim having it on the turbo gives better control because your getting exhaust from all the cylinders etc, but many cars have made well over 500hp with gates venting from one runner. If there is a hole in your manifold anywhere (meaning a wastegate) regardless if its from the collector or one runner will drop so much pressure out of the exhaust (giving great boost control) that it will not make any difference one way or another. I have run both setups and honestly can't tell the damn difference

A 60-1 setup will take you into the 10's. It's map doesn't look great on paper, but it's one hell of a wheel and makes killer power. Spool is not that bad and you just adjust your driving style to get used to it. I don't find my car laggy at all in any way though it's only a 50trim but 16G guys find it laggy when they drive it. It's just a matter of what your used to. The cool thing about the 60-1 is the standard T3 version is easy to get, cheap and anybody can rebuild it when it goes poo poo on you.

Tha 50 trim probably is stretching it for your goals anyway. As I suggested, a 60-1 is the way to go for that particular T3/T4 combo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back