The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Have a few questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97ebaygst

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2009
thomasville, North_Carolina
Ok where to start, so if anybody followed my other thread they would know I had a ecu ground that kept blowing. Found out it was the front o2 sensor was wired wrong by previous own which would blow the ecu 5v ground. Well i fixed that and I finally got it legal and started to drive it. That's when I notice the problem that I'm having.

When ever I take off or even when I'm driving the car feels like it chugs. If I keep a moderate amount of throttle on it it won't do it. And other thing it's doing is if I give it a good amount of throttle (say more then 60%) the car will feel like its hitting a wall.

With that being said I've done a boost leak test and I found that both throttle gaskets and my biss screw is leaking, not sure about the o-rings. I have the gaskets, biss screw, and the o-rings on order, so I'll be replacing them when I get them.

My main concern is the engine when it feels like it hitting the wall. I currently don't have an accurate boost gauge but I have a gauge that is just not reading right (meaning that the dial is just turned so I can tell that it is boosting and reading vacuum just not how much)(also have a new one on order). what the gauge shows is that i'll build steady boost when the throttle is more then half way down but once I reach about 3700-4500 the gauge shows what I think is a boost spike, the motor hits the wall and sounds like it just exploded and then I release the gas afraid that I'm gonna damage the motor.

My reason for this post is to see if anybody had any input on what it could be while I wait for the parts. That way if it turns out to not be just the boost leak that I have at the throttle body then I can work on it while I wait for the parts

Any input would be help full. And if someone could tell me exactly what it is that I should do in order to do the blt correctly the would also be helpful, I've seen so many different ways explained I haven't come across two that are the same. Do I have to set the motor at 30* atdc, should I cap off the pvc and the mbc?

do you have an aftermarket cpu or just stock? bigger turbo... if you run too much boost you'll hit fuel cut which is USUALLY the cause, I'm not sure what you have done but if you buy a FCD it should fix the problem beside the leak, also if you are leaking anywhere from your turbo to your intake this will also screw everything up, on my rx7 i had a pin sized hole in the weld for my bov and it ran like $#!+ until i put a small spot weld and it literally fixed my whole problem. good luck and pm me if you need some more help.

Right now I run a small 16g stock fuel system, mbc is set to the lowest setting,

I'd say upgrade your injectors, and fuel pump. It really sounds like your hitting fuel cut.

I'd say upgrade your injectors, and fuel pump. It really sounds like your hitting fuel cut.

but would the boost leak cause fuel cut? I've heard of other people running a 16g fine with out other upgrades as long as they don't turn the boost up? I have my boost turned all the way down.

Yes, a boost leak can cause fuel cut. If you have a boost leak your turbo will be working harder to maintain the boost level, and your ecu sees all this extra air, spazes out, and then fuel cut.

sweet. so when i fix the boost leak i'll report back on that, but can any body give me a good run down on how to properly do a blt and i have searched but like i said in my earlier post they are all different

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back