The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Have 550 injectors and dsmchip stage III...can I trash my MAFT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94EclipseGST

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2003
Des Plaines, Illinois
Okay, so here's what I'm asking. If I upgraded my whole fuel system (Walbro 255, 550 cc injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator) and also have a stage III dsmchip that compensates for the injectors, do I really need my MAFT?

The reason I ask is I've been having so much trouble tuning with the MAFT, even after the install of the chip, that I'm ready to say bye-bye to venting and put my 1G MAS back in. I am concerned that I won't have any tuning devices then (I don't have an SAFC and don't plan on getting one, nor am I ready to buy DSM link).

Okay you wisemen, give me your best opinion, one way or the other. I really want to remove the MAFT and stuff this weekend and replace the stock stuff.

Thanks,
Steve

I would say to remove the maft, and log a run or two and see how your car runs. And if you can run without the maft, shoot me an e-mail and Ill be happy to take it off your hands! :thumb: Good luck and happy tuning! -Matt

AmpleEclipse said:
I would say to remove the maft, and log a run or two and see how your car runs. And if you can run without the maft, shoot me an e-mail and Ill be happy to take it off your hands! :thumb: Good luck and happy tuning! -Matt

Isn't there a difference between the 1G and 2G MAFT?

The difference is just in the harness to the stock MAS plug from the MAFT. I say put the 1G MAS back in because that is what the DSMchip should be programmed to imitate in order to read the proper signal in the ECU from the GM MAS.

I'm thinking about getting the stage II or III dsmchip along with the MAFT as well. Anyone here having success with the MAFT and the dsmchip? The dsmchip website says you should have a AFC but wouldnt a MAFT be able to cover most of the tuning you would need to do with the AFC?

I'm all for simple tuning solutions and while the MAFT will help you lean out a bit from the 9.5:1 rich A/F ratio that Jeff uses in his chips, I've found that the best way to do this is to program the A/F and timing into the chip itself. I'm not sure if many people are aware that this is available in Jeff's tuning parameters, but his ECU chip is all I use (No AFC, VPC, or MAFT) and I make plenty of power.

If you decide to go this route, a safe starting point is an 11.5:1 A/F and 19 degrees of max timing (up from the factory 16). You'll see a huge performance difference at these levels over stock, but make sure not to go overboard. The great thing is that a chip upgrade costs twenty bucks if you want to keep trying new things.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back